Beat jumping question, Traktor Pro 2

Default Beat jumping question, Traktor Pro 2

Okay, so i've been having some issues every now and then, that i start a track a beat to soon or to late.
    i'm using keyboard and mouse right now, so its not the easiest realigning them.

how exactly does beat jump work, and how can i shift a track either forwards or backwards without messing up my mix altogether?

It sounds like Beat Jump is a step in the wrong direction for you, mate.

I think you'd benefit more from studying Phrasing and making sure you launch your incoming track on the corresponding beat/bar of the currently playing track.

Beat Jump is a quick fix, but you really need your wits about you to be able to use it to correct Phrasing issues on the fly...

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I think you'd benefit more from studying Phrasing and making sure you launch your incoming track on the corresponding beat/bar of the currently playing track.
    Id recommend using the Loop Recorder playhead indicator as some sort of metronome. Set your loop to 4 or 8 beats and let it repeat. Then when you want to hit play on your next deck you will have a visual feedback on your mix in point

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    It sounds like Beat Jump is a step in the wrong direction for you, mate.

Beat Jump is a quick fix, but you really need your wits about you to be able to use it to correct Phrasing issues on the fly...
    +1 to everything.

Beatmatching is not done "randomly" with any two random tracks, playing at any two random points.

Pick two tracks that are (almost) the same bpm.
    Cue the new track to a "1" in a phrase.
    When the current song reaches a "1," start the new track.
    Blend them together, as needed.

In other words, give yourself every possible advantage when learning to beatmix. Then, once you have learned to beatmix, continue to give yourself every possible advantage.

To practice, make an 8 beat loop in the new track. Match that to different parts of the current track. Lather, rinse, repeat.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Mentor

I think the problem is using the keyboard and mouse. You just can't be that accurate.

Tech Mentor

You can momentarily speed up or slow down a track with the pitchbend.
    You can tinker with the way the pitchbend behaves in the preferences to make it speed up the track more or less or progressively as you hold the key down if ya like but I tend to have it set to about +/- 1.5% for making adjustments.

Beatjump can be used in a similar way by setting the jump length to a small fraction of a beat to move the play head but you'll hear the jumps so its probly best to only do that in your headphones

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dj matt blaze View Post
    I think the problem is using the keyboard and mouse. You just can't be that accurate.
    lol
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

- Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6