Would you recommend the Midi Fighter 3D to a beginner?

Default Would you recommend the Midi Fighter 3D to a beginner?

Hi all,

I'm curious if the Midi Fighter 3D is something that you would recommend to someone new to DJ'ing and using Ableton. The Midi grabbed my attention from a Vine I saw and I like the idea of having arcade style buttons to remix songs while giving off a mesmerizing light show (I am a sucker for lights). I have zero experience with DJ'ing and have only messed with a couple apps on my phone like djay 2 and pacemaker. I'm looking for something more interactive that I will enable me to remix songs and eventually start creating custom beats. I wanted to purchase it over the weekend but would like to hear your inputs before I make a move.

Thanks for your time.

Well as someone who's second controller was a MF Pro I can definitely say that i would advise you to look at another controller. An MF is basically just a little box with 16 buttons that just really feel good, don't get me wrong i love this thing but it has no direct purpose. I can imagine you seeing Ean's great preformances with the deckalized and insta-grat mappings/Mad zachs finger drumming vid's and thinking oh.. I want to be able to do that too! But I would advise you to first look at a all-in one controller (like an S4/APC or something) and then decide what you want to purchase next.
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

I have to agree with DoubleYou.. The MFs are pretty cool but, kinda pointless unless you have the experience to know exactly what you do and don't need from your controller.

I third the aforementioned posts. Look for a decent all in one. If you are just starting out and want something affordable to learn on and see if this whole jig is right for you, get a gemini slate 4 or something around htat price range.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Guru

The MF3D and Twister are great "add ons" to an existing system.

For a beginner, any solid 2 deck system would be the best place to start. Yes, it is likely that within some time they will want to upgrade....but find me a single DJ who is still using their first system.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    The MF3D and Twister are great "add ons" to an existing system.

For a beginner, any solid 2 deck system would be the best place to start. Yes, it is likely that within some time they will want to upgrade....but find me a single DJ who is still using their first system.
    I remember my Numark 1210 belt drive pieces of shit and Gemini PMX60.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Glad I held back on that purchase then. Thanks for the info guys, I will check out some all in one machines.

You have already made the right choice but I will also confirm what was said. MFP was my first controller. It was cool to mess around with finger drumming but had nothing to do with "DJing". I would buy a nice, cheap, used 2 deck controller and learn the basics.

Random side note,
    Now after 2 years of using controllers with Ableton, Im looking to buy some CDJs and a mixer...

For Ableton the Twister is a much more solid controller, but I still wouldn't recommend it for a first one. Digging up a secondhand Akai APC40 is a much better idea.

Either that or don't DJ in Ableton. I did for a while but ended up with too many tracks and not enough time to warp them all. I ended up with a ratty old VCI-300, restored it, learned it, and then added midifighters to the deal much later on once I knew what I was doing.