Building a cost effective rig for gigging.. am I making the right decisions?
    Tech Convert

Default Building a cost effective rig for gigging.. am I making the right decisions?

Hey everyone!!!

I've been toying with the idea of designing a 'gigging' setup.. here are my rationals and the items I'm thinking will fit the bill best.

I have two Tech 1210s and a Stanton SA-5 in my studio wired to the OLD Serato box.. the first one, before they were renamed to SL-#.. but since Technics arn't made anymore I'm very hesitant on taking them to events, and would much rather they stay put in my smokeless studio space.

I currently use Traktor (Audio2DJ) with the Stanton SCS3 system, but have been eyeing the following items:

2x Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USBs (I know they're not the holy grail, but at least it wont crush my soul if they get damaged at an event)

Allen & Heath XONE:23C

Allen & Heath Xone:K1

A few quick questions to anyone familiar with these..

Will the addition of the K1 allow me to use 4 full decks? I know the 23c mixes two decks on the left and two decks on the right, and it looks like when you adjust the fader or apply a filter, it's going to apply to both sources on the side you choose. That seems kind of odd to me, as I like to have unique settings for each deck (ie: drum break on deck 1 with unique eq settings, vocal loop on deck 2 also uniquely eq'd, scratch sample on deck 3 with unique filter and eq settings, and samples to be triggered on deck 4 with unique filter settings. Will the K1 allow me to adjust those parameters in the software for each track individually? I'm assuming I wouldn't want to use the mixers eq/effects at that point as it would color two sources at the same time.

From what I've read, the mixer will NOT work with Traktor or Serato, even though it has a built in sound card, correct? So in order to DVS, I'll need another interface like the Audio4DJ?

If I decide to ditch traktor, will some of the other software options (ie: mixvibes) work without any additional hardware? Would you recommend ditching Traktor? I've actually grown to like it, even though I always thought of it as subordinate to Serato back in the day.

Also, will any of the better software alternatives support VST effects? I have a TON that I'd probably prefer over the defaults that come with the software.

Sorry for so many Q's... just want to make sure before I start dropping cash.
    Thanks as always!!!!!!!
    Last edited by slippy; 10-22-2015 at 02:26 PM.

Yes with the K1 you can apply EQ's for deck C and D and still cleanly output deck A and B. And with exemption of the included software (which I do believe was mixvibes) you cannot use DVS without an external soundcard. Therfore I would advise you to search for a mixer that does support this and perhaps even has 4 deck control. To my knowledge there is currently no DJ software that supports VST's AU's etc.
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Quote Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou View Post
    To my knowledge there is currently no DJ software that supports VST's AU's etc.
    Deckadance?
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

" Building a cost effective rig for gigging.. am I making the right decisions?"

without speakers all that gear won't matter

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    " Building a cost effective rig for gigging.. am I making the right decisions?"

without speakers all that gear won't matter
    I forgot to mention I have mackie srm450v2s and ev zxa1s.. as well as a surface 3 already running traktor (audio2dj)
    I'm mainly concerned with the tables/mixer/interface/controller combo

Any experience with the AH Xone K1 vs the AKAI AFX vs NI X1? I love Allen and Heath and if its a good controller I might pair it with a real cheap mixer like the DJ Tech DIF-1S (V2?) and the Traktor Scratch A6. That with a pair of good tables might be my best bet for a cheap(er) rig that's still flexible enough to have four (virtual) decks with unique settings on each. ..right?

Quote Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou View Post
    Yes with the K1 you can apply EQ's for deck C and D and still cleanly output deck A and B. And with exemption of the included software (which I do believe was mixvibes) you cannot use DVS without an external soundcard. Therfore I would advise you to search for a mixer that does support this and perhaps even has 4 deck control. To my knowledge there is currently no DJ software that supports VST's AU's etc.
    Mixxx will work, as will VDJ8. Also, quite possibly Traktor Scratch Pro 2 *cough*.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

if u dont plan to scratch... you can get full control of about every parameter in traktor mapped to an akai apc40, and you can buy one for like 150 bucks or less. you could easily add this to the A2 and have a super capable mobile rig.

if you want to use DVS.. add an audio 6

if you want to scratch add an audio 6 and a innofader mini..

you can check out my hacked apc here :

**note*** the apc40 mark 1 has slightly more room to map than the mark 2... and costs less than half... so get the mark1
    Last edited by Deejaesnafu; 10-28-2015 at 10:22 AM.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

X.23C will work with Traktor DVS with the hex edit hack.

Tech Mentor

"Building a cost effective rig for gigging.. am I making the right decisions?"

No one can decide this better than you. Everyone has their own preference to gear, workflow, software etc. etc. as well as mixing and DJing style. There is no one here that can tell you the best gear to get for your style other than you. You need to think about what it is you do and how you want to go about doing it and research the gear that can do exactly that. Technics might not be made anymore but they aren't exactly hard to get. They are for sale everywhere.

Tech Wizard

I would rather get a used Xone62 (which I used daily for a year before finding a pristine UK 92 at a price I couldn't refuse) than -any- 2 channel mixer for this purpose. You'll love the two filters and 4 band eq, and short of a 92 or Rane 2015, you won't find a better mixer for what you want, especially within your budget