DJ's wanted & Chronic LOAD issues (snap crackle and pop!) using Traktor and Nicecast

Default DJ's wanted & Chronic LOAD issues (snap crackle and pop!) using Traktor and Nicecast

Hi DJ Techtoolians,

First off the radio station I play for has some spare residency spots available for high calibre and passionate electronic music (any genre) DJ's who are regular, trustworthy and friendly. Most of the decent UK time slots (18:00 to midnight) are gone but the web is global hurrah!!! and there are some midnight to 02:00am slots which would suit DJ's in the Americas region. There are also some earlier UK times which would suit Asia Pacific based DJ's. So if you fancy a regular slot (it is free to play so I am not phishing or scamming but the odd donation to service the operating costs are requested usually once a year) check out the site:

www.radioactivefm.co.uk and hit me up here for info!

Which leads me on to my problem, I recently upgraded my hard drive to an SSD and also moved my entire music collection onto an external SSD. When playing my shows on the above mentioned site i use my iMac to run Traktor with S4 and Nicecast to broadcast (see my set up and specs below), it is becoming impossible to play due to LOAD issues which runs into the red and get the dreaded snaps and crackles after 30 mins or so. I have reduced latency and turned off the core processing but still poor performance....any ideas guys?

I might run audio out of S4 to a laptop and broadcast with that but seems odd I should need to do this?
    27" Imac (2.8 Ghz i5; 16GB; 256 SSD); Logic X; M-Audio Axiom 49 MIDI Keyboard; A&H DB4; A&H K2; Roland MC-303; Shure SM58 Mic; Technics RP DH1200 Headphones; Fishy Bum Splat Burger for lunch and dinner

Tech Guru

What is the sample rate you are using? 44.1k, 48k, 96k?

Anything over 44.1k with an mp3 is just using CPU cycles for no apparent gain. If it is higher, drop the sample rate to 44.1k and retry.

If that does not work (or apply to your setup), how many FX banks are you using? If you have four, drop to two.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Thanks for reply, using 44.1. I do not really use effects too much but have a standard set up of x1 effects per channel....
    27" Imac (2.8 Ghz i5; 16GB; 256 SSD); Logic X; M-Audio Axiom 49 MIDI Keyboard; A&H DB4; A&H K2; Roland MC-303; Shure SM58 Mic; Technics RP DH1200 Headphones; Fishy Bum Splat Burger for lunch and dinner

i keep all my music on my main onboard SSD to reduce the stress on traktor. or at least the stuff im going to actually play... i do keep a bigger library on an external HD, but i dont play music FROM it, just store it there. i personally like to keep my traktor library under 2k songs, so it doesnt use much space to keep it on my main drive.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

also...you want to INCREASE latency to reduce load, not lower it..
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Deejaesnafu View Post
    also...you want to INCREASE latency to reduce load, not lower it..
    Yes - I was also thinking the statement was ambiguous.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    Yes - I was also thinking the statement was ambiguous.
    doh! so obvious but I had lowered it! I have only been using Traktor for 5 years ha ha, Will try that out as well...

I actually submitted a track for the hell of it sometime last week

Looks like my crackling has been resolved after realising I was increasing latency - what a dick.

Bump for any DJ's wanting a regular radio slot!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1000 Cutts View Post
    Surely there are folk on here who would want a regular slot on a web radio?
    Bueller Bueller