Problems with Pitch & BPM in Traktor Remix Decks using Acapella Samples
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Problems with Pitch & BPM in Traktor Remix Decks using Acapella Samples

First of all- Thanks for having me on the forum, avid DJTT reader and watcher & it's about time I planted myself on the site. Secondly, I apologise in advance if this is in the wrong place/has already been answered/ is a stupid question

Basically, I'v cut up some short acapella phrases from a Fort Minor track that I plan to use over my sets & placed them in the Remix deck, but I'm having issues with the pitch & tempo.
    Some of the samples play really slow, and some play really quick. My geuss is that this is due to Traktor not detecting the right BPM. I'v placed the samples on standard decks to check the BPM and Traktor is indeed getting them wrong (rightfully so, who can detect the BPM of a 0.5 second acapella phrase?) Some are at 108BPM for example, others at 86, 78, 106.2 etc.

I know the acapella is 85BPM. Is there a way of me bypassing the Traktor detection and setting them at 85BPM? will this fix my problem? I currently have a remix deck with acapella samples of the same voice, but many different pitches and speeds, there's no consistency there whatsoever

It worked great when I hotcued the full acapella in a separate deck, but I'd really like the freedom of having the phrases that I use, in the remix decks, ready to pull out at any point.

Thanks in advance!

Tech Wizard

Is this just a stupid question that has you taking one look at it and rolling your eyes? haha
    I know there is a way to beatgrid myself and set the BPM, but how do I do this on individual samples as opposed to the main clock? is there a trick I can do to set the BPM myself? Or am I completely missing the point haha? I may just change one of the remix decks for a standard deck and cue my acapella samples like that, but this is going to confuse things & I will have to do a lot more midi mapping, using the remix decks is something I would really like considering I already use them for oneshots. Thanks!

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Sync enabled on each samples?

Tech Mentor

make sure key lock is enabled on each remix cell group

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post

Thanks for the reply, I don't have that bar at the bottom with the BPM, how do I see that?
    I'm using Traktor Scratch Pro 2

Thanks

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by dstep View Post
    make sure key lock is enabled on each remix cell group
    Key lock is indeed enabled, thought that was the problem at first, turned it on with no difference.
    It's not the pitch as such that's the problem, it's definitely the tempo, some of my samples play really slowly, and some play really quickly, regardless of what the main BPM is set at/if keylock is on.

Tech Wizard

Just a quickie, noticed your avatar, was that a design you built for the new midifighter when Ean opened the competition?

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I don't have that bar at the bottom with the BPM, how do I see that?
    I'm using Traktor Scratch Pro 2

Thanks
    Follow this path: Preferences > Deck Layout > Advanced ... Or just double click on your deck header to go trough different deck sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
    Just a quickie, noticed your avatar, was that a design you built for the new midifighter when Ean opened the competition?
    Yes it is I use it as my logo as well.

Tech Wizard

Follow this path: Preferences > Deck Layout > Advanced ... Or just double click on your deck header to go trough different deck sizes.

Yes it is I use it as my logo as well.
    Happy days, nice to be getting help from a long time member
    and thanks, when I'm back at my laptop I'l give that a try, hopefully I'l be able to change the BPM of all the samples using the BPM at the bottom?

Tech Wizard

Default SOLVED (Thank You)

Sorted.

Viewed the full remix deck, clicked each sample, set them all from their ridiculous BPM's to the original 85, and problem solved. Thanks for all the help

Another issue has arisen though that I was hoping you may be able to help me query. I have the remix deck samples mapped up to a Korg PadKontrol, using each pad to trigger each sample (or "select" them so I can trigger them from my main controller) and it intermittently fails to work. It will be triggering the samples fine one minute, Il then use a hotcue or start an effect or go to a different page on the padkontrol, and when I come back to using the remix samples nothing happens when I hit the pad. It's like it briefly forgets my midi mapping, only to work again like five minutes later? Is this a mapping issue, maybe down to me not using the F1? or something else... The pad isn't faulty as it works perfectly with everything else at all times including hour long drumming sessions with VST's. I'm confused and it's having me at a wits end, loving triggering samples on the fly and then boom, nothing.

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast