Hey vinyl and electronica lovers, check out this record collection I just picked up! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pier View Post
    Nice collection of music!

I have several of those releases in digital.

After spinning records for a few years I gave all my vinyl record collection to dj friends when I went digital. They were very happy, and to me it only meant less space in the room.

IMO the vinyl sound is horrible after a few plays, and it gets worse everytime you play it again. Plus dust, fingerprints...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramophone_record

"The RIAA has suggested the following acceptable losses: down to 20 kHz after one play, 18 kHz after three plays, 17 kHz after five, 16 kHz after eight, 14 kHz after fifteen, 13 kHz after twenty five, 10 kHz after thirty five, and 8 kHz after eighty plays."

8Khz after eighty plays... and a dj usually plays a record hundreds of times. Considering most of people can't hear beyond 17k it's almost half of the spectrum...

I have friends that bought several copies of the records they loved because of that. One copy for practicing, some more for live gigs, and some more ONLY for recording. Yeah, most of their money was spent in records...

Carrying vinyls was a pain in the back... Some of my friends had problems in their back because of frequently carrying hundreds of vinyls.

The only thing I miss about vinyls is touching them and see them spinning. That was really great.

Oh and the smell of a new record
    Yeha the bit about wear and tear I think is exaggerated and I doubt whatever study/source they got those statistics from. I have played the same record 100 times and it sounds almost as good as the first. There are many factors, the main one is what stylus you are using. If you use a sharp elliptical needles that digs into every groove and if you have the tone are weight set so there is too much weight on the needle then yeah, I could understand those results and it will chew up your records over time.

However, I and most DJs use spherical cartridges which preserve the life of records and don't do a fraction of the damage ellipticals do, especially when set up right.

Here are two diagrams to illustrate the difference, spherical styli don't dig into the bottom of the groove and therefor don't do much damage. Ellipticals are designed to contact as much of the groove groove as possible sometimes including the bottom for the absolute best sound which in turn will eat away at records over time.

Most DJ styli are spherical and whatever study they got that info from must have been with an exacto knife for an elliptical cartridge with 20 grams of weight on the needle (normal is .5-2 grams)

I'm surprised you picked Drop the Pressure out of all those - I was going to say something too...

Thanks for bragging. Can I just say here's a picture of my record collection:

LOL
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Tech Guru

i mean, I recognize a good number of those releases, but I love Drop the Pressure, good friend of mine used it in a mix and I was like... damn, need it.

Quote Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
    i mean, I recognize a good number of those releases, but I love Drop the Pressure, good friend of mine used it in a mix and I was like... damn, need it.
    Yeah I know what you mean, I've been in this DJ scene for a little over a year and one of the first records I got on vinyl was drop the pressure off ebay. Now it's cool that I havr two different versions. Something about that track just screams to you that you need to own it, even if it's peak popular club days are over...

I love my vinyl but it's stored until i buy my house in January then all 2500 are coming home from my brothers for a reunion yesterday i had a 1210 plugged in playing a few tunes i kept with me, from 91-93 stuff on nervous strictly and one records along with a tune called Loony Toony which is a brilliant record for it's age even though I am full on digital Vinyl will always hold a special place for me along with 1210's that will never change!

plus with the help of Alex we got the Xone 4D up and running looking forward to when i can plug my decks back in and get TSP and play with them along with the digital side of things!

Yeah, gotta love a pair of Technics MK5s with a Xone: 4D, the best of the best of both worlds... With CDJ 1000 MK3's you truly have the best of all three worlds . I have probably owned and sold 25 techncis in the last 8 months. When I get a pair of black MK5s or M3Ds I'll hold onto them. I'm getting another MK2 pair tomorrow but they are just to resell.

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

Quote Originally Posted by Lambox View Post
    here's a picture of my record collection:
    "from my harddrive to yr hips"

Anyone else have some wax they wanna share?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Yeha the bit about wear and tear I think is exaggerated and I doubt whatever study/source they got those statistics from. I have played the same record 100 times and it sounds almost as good as the first. There are many factors, the main one is what stylus you are using. If you use a sharp elliptical needles that digs into every groove and if you have the tone are weight set so there is too much weight on the needle then yeah, I could understand those results and it will chew up your records over time.

However, I and most DJs use spherical cartridges which preserve the life of records and don't do a fraction of the damage ellipticals do, especially when set up right.

Here are two diagrams to illustrate the difference, spherical styli don't dig into the bottom of the groove and therefor don't do much damage. Ellipticals are designed to contact as much of the groove groove as possible sometimes including the bottom for the absolute best sound which in turn will eat away at records over time.

Most DJ styli are spherical and whatever study they got that info from must have been with an exacto knife for an elliptical cartridge with 20 grams of weight on the needle (normal is .5-2 grams)
    Well, the fact is if there's friction there's wear. Unless you have one of those laser vinyl players, in that case you only need to care about dust and fingerprints.

http://www.elpj.com/main.html

You can minimize that fact, but you can't escape it. You can clean your vinyl every time before playing it (as many audiophiles do), you can clean your needle every time, you can change your needle every 50 hours of use... and even in those laboratory conditions still have friction and wear. And I'm sure most of djs (if not all) don't follow any of those precautions.

I don't know the conditions used in the analysis on the wikipedia, but hi fi players don't need as much pressure as djs need because we manipulate the record, and the last thing we want is the needle jumping right before launching a record. People just put the needle and listen, no vinyl manipulation. So I think it's fair to assume that their analysis was not made with 20 grams...

Please take the time to record in your computer one of those records you have played hundreds of times, make an fft analysis and then see that for yourself.

Then compare it with the same track but from a cd. With your eyes closed you should be able to distinguish one from the other. It's really obvious. Not only because of the wear of higher frequencies, but also the signal to noise ratio.

Anyway, that is all technical stuff. I know a lot of people who agrees on the lower quality of vinyl and even prefer it over the brighter and more precise sound of digital. But that is a subjective personal taste and no one could argue over that.

Quote Originally Posted by pier View Post
    I know a lot of people who agrees on the lower quality of vinyl and even prefer it over the brighter and more precise sound of digital. But that is a subjective personal taste and no one could argue over that.
    Exactly, that's the main point and reason people love vinyl. That and the feel, the artwork, the tactile differences of each record, its history. After ripping new vinyl to .wav I just like listening to it for that warmth and the clicks, wow, and flutter all add character.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast