EDM that doesn't suck? Please help. Don't hate!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default EDM that doesn't suck? Please help. Don't hate!

Hey guys. Ok I'm sorry and hope my title doesn't offend anyone. I am in the camp that thinks "EDM" as it is has been so labeled, sucks. Yet I know there is good to be found everywhere. So that is why I am here.

I have the (misfortune?) of doing something I said I would never do again, but it's for a friend so I kind of have to.

I am DJ'ing for teenagers and that is something that has always gone badly because they act a fool about the music that is being played. I had a goth/industrial night once and teenagers showed up and ruined the whole thing as they ranted for Miley, Iggy, and Taylor Swift. Then they proceeded to drive everyone out of the venue when they didn't get what they wanted.

So getting on with it... I am DJ'ing for an anime convention in my town. I know from experience as a frequent convention goer that the anime teen fans like k-pop. They used to like j-pop but act like it's the devil since they found k-pop. They also like the worst EDM and trance that money can buy.

Since I dislike the latter, I don't own any of it. Now I have to go out and buy some so I can do this gig.

So over to you guys. Can you please recommend some EDM and trance that has I guess some of the usual trappings but doesn't suck?

And again apologies if I offended anyone. These are just my feelings.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tech Mentor

you're not going to gain the interest of teenagers playing trance & edm unless they are rolling on molly. I know someone is gonna argue with me on this. That's great you can enjoy it without drugs, and that many do (myself included). But the fact is MANY MANY more only experience this music while floored off drugs. A lot of the time it takes people being on a mind altering substance for the first time to learn to appreciate the beauty in this music. Because that's what some drugs enhance the experience. They take it from just some noise that you hear to something that physically affects your entire body & soul.

Kids these days have severe ADHD due to the massive online social media 140 character 7 second video that is just constantly been shot into their skull. They don't have the patience to listen to a 1 minute breakdown with epic chords that build. They want it all, and they want it now.

The reason they want the Miley Cyrus and whatnot is because that music is marketed to them. They don't actually know WHY they like it, they are brainwashed to like it because it's advertised to them everywhere they look. Once the popular friend in the group likes it, the rest will follow. It's just how the psyche of your average teenager works.

If it's for an anime convention, and you still want to go that route, I would suggest something like Porter Robinson's music. Have a listen to this mix, look at the tracklist, search up some of the artists on there and then you can maybe find other tracks that would be in the same style

https://soundcloud.com/graskar/porte...set-monstercat

Quote Originally Posted by dsquareddan View Post
    you're not going to gain the interest of teenagers playing trance & edm unless they are rolling on molly.
    Hey I should have clarified. When I say they like trance and EDM, I mean those types that they would hear on top 40 radio on weekend nights or MTV when they are playing one actual music video.

Tech Mentor

you can't polish a turd
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Killing time View Post
    you can't polish a turd
    Actually, you can:

But to get back on topic, synaptic just don't do it man, you're not going to spin a killer set if you do not like the music at all. I'm not saying I disagree with you about the abomination that is the musical taste of 16 year olds and dssquareddan is right, many teenagers are not able to listen to a proper buildup anymore without being on drugs. But there are enough of them that can and more of them will later when their musical taste will age like a fine wine.
    TL;DR Don't be so negative, play what you love.
    Last edited by DJDoubleYou; 11-10-2015 at 06:44 PM. Reason: your=you're *faceplant*
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Tech Wizard

Default Adults These Days

you're not going to gain the interest of teenagers playing trance & edm unless they are rolling on molly. I know someone is gonna argue with me on this. That's great you can enjoy it without drugs, and that many do (myself included). But the fact is MANY MANY more only experience this music while floored off drugs. A lot of the time it takes people being on a mind altering substance for the first time to learn to appreciate the beauty in this music. Because that's what some drugs enhance the experience. They take it from just some noise that you hear to something that physically affects your entire body & soul.

Kids these days have severe ADHD due to the massive online social media 140 character 7 second video that is just constantly been shot into their skull. They don't have the patience to listen to a 1 minute breakdown with epic chords that build. They want it all, and they want it now.

The reason they want the Miley Cyrus and whatnot is because that music is marketed to them. They don't actually know WHY they like it, they are brainwashed to like it because it's advertised to them everywhere they look. Once the popular friend in the group likes it, the rest will follow. It's just how the psyche of your average teenager works.

If it's for an anime convention, and you still want to go that route, I would suggest something like Porter Robinson's music. Have a listen to this mix, look at the tracklist, search up some of the artists on there and then you can maybe find other tracks that would be in the same style

https://soundcloud.com/graskar/porte...set-monstercat
    I cant tell if your kidding or not and it scares me. You do realize some people like Miley Cyrus and others right? I mean I cannot stand it but im sure there are people who hear some specific Miley song just like you hear {Insert Super Hip and Underground Deep Tech Producer} and get the exact same feeling. Thats the best thing about Music and art in general, Its Subjective.

The portion
    It's just how the psyche of your average teenager works.
    Thats how Humans work not teenagers.

My Only Suggestions for Synaptic Flow is dont play music you dont like. If the events not a fit why would you take it? That being said I guarantee you can you can find songs you like that use J/K-pop lyrics or influences, maybe some tracks that use anime show samples that still fit into your sound and what you like.

If you are getting paid, buckle down and do what you need to do to get paid. If it is a paid gig, it is a job. You are being paid for a service. GIve the customer what they need and move on to the next gig.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou View Post
    Actually, you can:

But to get back on topic, synaptic just don't do it man, your not going to spin a killer set if you do not like the music at all. I'm not saying I disagree with you about the abomination that is the musical taste of 16 year olds and dssquareddan is right, many teenagers are not able to listen to a proper buildup anymore without being on drugs. But there are enough of them that can and more of them will later when their musical taste will age like a fine wine.
    TL;DR Don't be so negative, play what you love.
    holy shit (badump tsh), myth busters actually polished a turd.
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

Tech Wizard

Dont quite understand why you would take a slot at an event that wants you to play music you don't enjoy.

Kind of seems against the whole point of why you dj surely?

If your still going to do the gig, these kind of places don't care, how smooth or subtle your mixes are. Just get YouTube up and play one song after each other. Not sure how much people are going to actually be listening to your set either. at Conventions its usually just background noise whilst everyone is fanboying and screaming ahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Parsons7 View Post
    Dont quite understand why you would take a slot at an event that wants you to play music you don't enjoy.

Kind of seems against the whole point of why you dj surely?

If your still going to do the gig, these kind of places don't care, how smooth or subtle your mixes are. Just get YouTube up and play one song after each other. Not sure how much people are going to actually be listening to your set either. at Conventions its usually just background noise whilst everyone is fanboying and screaming ahaha
    Hey Parsons,

I am only doing it because I have been friends with all of the convention staff for years. In fact the person who hired me knows full well about teenagers tossing fits at my events but he wanted me there anyway.

I consulted the other DJ that is playing with me because he has been doing these for way longer. His advice was to just play what I love, put energy into it and don't worry about the pop music.

I'm going to play some of what they love and some of what I love. Hopefully I will find a balance that can entertain at least 50 to 40% of my crowd. You can't please everybody. And let me tell you... these teens literally attack the DJ booth to harass you for requests. I mean they will climb up walls to get to you.

But that's a complaint for another day...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast