Mix Recording Issues - Audacity - TRS Cable - NI Audio Kontrol 1 - [Please Help}

Default Mix Recording Issues - Audacity - TRS Cable - NI Audio Kontrol 1 - [Please Help}

Hi Guys,

I have been sitting on a problem for ages and am desperate to solve it.

I want to record mixes. I have previously had success taking the record out L and R RCA outputs and combining them with an twin RCA to mini headphone jack, inserted into an old PC. Recording stereo on Audacity.

Now I use a mac and there is no mini headphone jack... I have an NI Audio Kontrol 1, which I mainly use for PC audio out to my monitors at the moment.

I am able to get some sort of recording into Audacity. However, often it sounds very low quality and almost like the bass is missing. The recording is certainly not good enough to upload or keep anywhere. The other issue is that it is recording in one side of the twin stereo track.

It had been suggested to me that I use a mono track. I tried this and get no recording at all. And also, should I not get a stereo output?

Here is a quick youtube video I did just incase its easier to watch that than read all this rubbish ^

Summary -

Audio Kontrol 1
    Audacity
    Poor quality recording
    Bass missing sometimes
    Only recording one side of the stereo track

... Any help would be so much appreciated.

I think both inputs are mono on the Kontrol one, check this thread for a solution:
    http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=8175
    SC | MC

Ahhh thats so helpful. So I can run separate L and R RCA to TRS. Run one side to the combo XLR / TRS input and then the other side into the one the wire was initially in?

Sort of like -

------ L (RAC Male) ============ (TRS Male) Combo input jack - --------------
    mixer Audio Kontrol 1
    ------ R (RCA Male) ============ (TRS Male) 1/4 Inch Input - --------------

Will audacity pick this up as a stereo configuration without having to fiddle too much?

I genuinely do really appreciate the help. I used to look at this site when I bought my first controller, vestax VCI 100, followed by a 300. Its a long time since then but I knew someone on here would be able to help me.

Thanks,
    Phil

Yep that should work fine.
    Make sure the number of channels in audacity is 2 (stereo)
    SC | MC

Tech Mentor

your problem is recording into mono. you need to record stereo into stereo.
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    Yep that should work fine.
    Make sure the number of channels in audacity is 2 (stereo)
    Thank you so much for your help. I was totally unaware that the inputs on the interface were mono only. I have been out to town today and picked up some more RCA's. I have it connected now as above and it works perfectly.

@killing time, I think my issue is that I was unaware that the inputs on the soundcard were mono only. I was under the impression that I was able to combine the L and R (stereo) output of my mixer into a balanced TRS stereo input. Obviously this is not the case if you only have a mono female end in the interface.

Many thanks,
    Phil