Club's PA system fried my mixer?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Club's PA system fried my mixer?

Hi guys, I have this problem.

The other night I was about to play at this bar. I connected my Traktor Kontrol Z2 trough rca to the clubs allen & heath mixer, and the A&H was receving some noise. We proceded to try to connect the xlr cables that were connected to the A&H, directly to my Z2. We heard a big boom on the speakers. Something was wrong, so I unplugged everything. I was scared about my mixer, but it was turning on ok and seemed to be ok.

I used club's mixer through the rest of the night.

When I went home, I checked my Z2, and it turns on ok, HID buttons, knobs and meters work perfectly, and traktor too...BUT all you can hear through every output (headphone, master, monitor) is a strong hum noise. No music at all.

I already contacted NI support, but wanted to know if you guys had an idea of what could've happened, and if it will be fixable.

Tech Wizard

might be wrong, but pretty sure there will be an amp boosting the signal from your mixer to the speakers, rather than boosting any signal.

Also why wouldn't you turn everything off before plugging stuff in?

Quote Originally Posted by lauti View Post
    Hi guys, I have this problem.

The other night I was about to play at this bar. I connected my Traktor Kontrol Z2 trough rca to the clubs allen & heath mixer, and the A&H was receving some noise. We proceded to try to connect the xlr cables that were connected to the A&H, directly to my Z2. We heard a big boom on the speakers. Something was wrong, so I unplugged everything. I was scared about my mixer, but it was turning on ok and seemed to be ok.

I used club's mixer through the rest of the night.

When I went home, I checked my Z2, and it turns on ok, HID buttons, knobs and meters work perfectly, and traktor too...BUT all you can hear through every output (headphone, master, monitor) is a strong hum noise. No music at all.

I already contacted NI support, but wanted to know if you guys had an idea of what could've happened, and if it will be fixable.
    Unfortunately bro this was user error. When you failed to kill the channels on the mixer, you left power flowing through those XLR's. When you connected it to your mixer, it fried your grounds.

Imagine rubbing your socks on carpet then putting your finger in your car's cigarette lighter.

Youre lucky this didnt cause any damage to the house sound system. If you dont have a warranty, feel free to pop your mixer open and post pics of the board (both sides).
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    When you failed to kill the channels on the mixer, you left power flowing through those XLR's. When you connected it to your mixer, it fried your grounds.
    You mean, kill the channels on my mixer, or the PA's system?
    - - -

It is under warranty, but it is nearly impossible (given customs in my country) to send it and receive a replacement (which is what NI offered me).

Do you think a fix could be possible?

Kill the channels on the PA system. A fix could be possible depending on the damage. I would def get in touch with NI about the customs issue. They might be able to help you with that bruv.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Wizard

Kill the channels on the PA system. A fix could be possible depending on the damage. I would def get in touch with NI about the customs issue. They might be able to help you with that bruv.
    The thing is that they'd basically charge as much as a brand new mixer, and NI doesn't even cover shipment costs.
    So, it'd end up costing too much to do it. Not to mention the risks and specially, the time that it'd take (I reallly need this mixer, I have a couple of gigs booked, so I need to move fast.

Thanks for the help!

HAve you looked into flight cost to countries with less strict customs policies? The Z2 would count as professional equipment and could be carried onto a flight without duty fees.

Tech Wizard

HAve you looked into flight cost to countries with less strict customs policies? The Z2 would count as professional equipment and could be carried onto a flight without duty fees.
    Yeah, but still, it'd take too much time and hastle. I'll rather try a fix, if this doesn't help, then it's getting a new one

Can't figure out why this would fry your mixer ?

You took two xlrs out of the Allen and Heath outputs and connected those to the xlr outputs of the z2?

Everything should be fine.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    Can't figure out why this would fry your mixer ?

You took two xlrs out of the Allen and Heath outputs and connected those to the xlr outputs of the z2?

Everything should be fine.
    Exactly.

That's what I thought, but it looks as if my preamps fried (not the whole mixer, it still works as a controller, but no audio).

the_bastet said that the problem was from not killing the channel fader from the mixer where I was sending my main out.

I still haven't found a technician willing to open it and try to fix it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast