Make use of the gameport of the Xone: 4D

Default Making use of the gameport of the Xone: 4D

One interesting feature of the 4D is it has an actual gameport input. I know gamport and MIDI can be interchanged with adapters, I'm wondering if there are any cool or vintage controllers that have a gameport connection that I could plug directly in and mess around with.

Any ideas or particularly interesting or cool game controllers? I would love to find an absolutely crazy or ridiculous old school controller and use it to control Traktor plugging it directly into the gameport.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 11-19-2009 at 07:45 PM.

obviously a big old flight joystick, aviator glasses, white scarf, and big fan.....
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

^^ that would be awesome!
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

I'll definitely look into it, a big ass flight simulator or tank controller would be pretty sweet. It need lots of buttons though. Where and how should I look for controllers that utilize the gameport, what time period was it actively used from? I don't think ebay auctions are going to advertise the item uses a gameport in the title... I'll go do some research on that.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Well, really, anything that has a MIDI cable can use the game port. And any controllers released in the 90's for a PC will utilize the game port. I still have two of my old flight joysticks from the days of X-Wing vs Tie Fighter. I'd be interested in seeing if those'd work, though I doubt it. But with enough beer we can make anything work.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Well, really, anything that has a MIDI cable can use the game port. And any controllers released in the 90's for a PC will utilize the game port. I still have two of my old flight joysticks from the days of X-Wing vs Tie Fighter. I'd be interested in seeing if those'd work, though I doubt it. But with enough beer we can make anything work.
    Sweet, that reminds me I need booze. Maybe I'll check some thrift stores and junk shops, I'm sure I could find old controllers at the salvarion army and the like, now I gotta find out where those are in the city. Also I know anything MIDI can be plugged into the gameport, there are free MIDI inputs as well, I just like the idea of plugging something directly into it.

Three little words: Logitech Wingman Warrior!
    Looks slick and old-school at the same time, even today!
    I mix stuff on my things...