Is this possible?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Is this possible?

Hey there, i own a xone92 mixer and i run traktor & ableton and this is what concerns me.
    I have the audio10 soundcard so, 3 traktor decks, 4th deck Ableton push and i also route ableton effects through the send/return xone's channel so i use 5 of the 6 channels on the mixer.
    Is there any way so i can use the other one send/return channel so i can have 4 traktor decks with my current gear? I have 3 spare inputs but no outputs on the audio10, except the headphones output.
    I also use xonek2 for midi which has 2 outputs..
    Is it possible?

Tech Mentor

No guarantee, as I don't own that piece, but as the unit is a 10 Channel Soundcard (5 Stereo) I believe you can use Main Output for ableton/Xone Return Channel and the 4 Decks for Traktor.

You can use main output on audio 10 for ableton.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Mentor

I see two options here:
    1. Mix Ableton clips / instruments and FX send internally and output through the 5th stereo channel (other 4 for Traktor), if you're wanting to use the other send / return on the mixer you could use a hardware FX unit or connect a hardware drum machine or synth etc.

2. Run the FX return and Ableton clips / instruments outputs in mono (e.g. channel 9 for clips/instruments and channel 10 for effects return), then run each of these into 2 separate channels on the mixer (xone 92 accepts mono in so should convert to stereo). This leaves the 4 main stereo outs for Traktor.
    Xone DB4 | Pioneer DDJ-SP1 | DJ Tech CDJ 101 (x2) | Serato DJ
    NI X1 MKII | NI Scratch A6 | MF Twister | Traktor Pro 2
    Sennheiser HD 25 II | KRK Rokit 5 (x2) | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    Mixed In Key 8 | MusicBrainz Picard | Mixxx 2

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by rob2192 View Post
    I see two options here:
    1. Mix Ableton clips / instruments and FX send internally and output through the 5th stereo channel (other 4 for Traktor), if you're wanting to use the other send / return on the mixer you could use a hardware FX unit or connect a hardware drum machine or synth etc.

2. Run the FX return and Ableton clips / instruments outputs in mono (e.g. channel 9 for clips/instruments and channel 10 for effects return), then run each of these into 2 separate channels on the mixer (xone 92 accepts mono in so should convert to stereo). This leaves the 4 main stereo outs for Traktor.

Im confused bro , i dont think i can do that without losing stereo sound... im talking about option no2.
    Im pretty sure i just need a bigger soundcard to achieve that...
    No worries though, 3 traktor decks with Push and effects via send/return is more that enough !

Tech Mentor

As far as I know the xone 92's return channels support mono inputs (probably linked to the way it would process a mic input) if you look closely the return inputs are marked L/M and R: Xone 92 Connections

With option 2 you would loose stereo for FX return and ableton clips / instruments but the mixers L and R outputs would both have sound it would just be identical on each side. This shouldn't make a big difference (many clubs are in mono anyway). Traktor decks would remain stereo.

Just configure Ableton to output FX return on Audio 10 channel 9 and everything else on channel 10, then run RCA to jack cables to connect the outputs into the xone 92s Return 1 L and Return 2 L respectively.
    If this works ok route Traktor decks output through channels 1-8 into the 4 main mixer channels.

Off topic a bit here:
    For anyone trying a similar thing with other mixers you can also use splitter cables to send a mono output into L and R inputs on mixer. Just don't be tempted to combine signals with those cables (thats what mixers are for). With this cabling setup you can use an audio 6 to output 4 traktor decks (in mono).
    Last edited by rob2192; 12-05-2015 at 06:52 PM.

Tech Convert

I think i got it, i run both return channels in mono now, ableton & fx return.
    I separated the outputs in ableton settings BUT the return chann 1 (ableton clips) whenever i use a fx return (return chann 2) to any channel the signal goes also to channel 1. Is this the way its supposed to be or am i doing something wrong?

Tech Mentor

Not sure what you mean here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasilis View Post
    I separated the outputs in ableton settings BUT the return chann 1 (ableton clips) whenever i use a fx return (return chann 2) to any channel the signal goes also to channel 1. Is this the way its supposed to be or am i doing something wrong?
    I would route both sends into any audio 10 channels that aren't used for Traktor timecode. For example channel 1&2 for Xone 92 send 1 and 3&4 for xone 92 send 2. Each pair then into separate ableton audio tracks each of these output into a 3rd track (acting as FX return master) which outputs to Audio 10 channel 1. Audio 10 Channel 1 routed into Xone 92 return 1 L/M.

All other ableton stuff > ableton's master > audio 10 channel 2 > Xone 92 return 2 L/M.

Everything coming out of ableton will be in mono but the xone 92 should split the signal into L and R.
    Last edited by rob2192; 12-06-2015 at 06:52 AM.

Tech Mentor

Now are those return channels mono or stereo? Of course, when using a mic it is mono, but when the 2 return inputs are in use, is it a stereo or mono signal on the master signal?

Tech Convert

I did it! It works fine, FX & Clips are in MONO and 4 traktor decks. Although i have not yet decided if i ll go with this or 3 traktor decks and stereo fx&clips because im a huuuuge audiophile.
    Anyway.. it was a huge help dude, i had no idea that this was possible even in mono!
    Really appreciate your time and patience, i wish i could buy you a beer, cheers mate !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast