Audio inderface set up
    Tech Mentor elohyspoissonpilote's Avatar

Default Audio inderface set up

Hi guys,
    I need a technical advice. Here is the question.
    My set up is like that:
    Traktor which I will use the 4 decks (4 stéreo out needed) and if possible use the phone preview for win time when searching or control next tracks.

Ableton wich need to go out on 2 stéreo channels (1 for main, 1 for effect return)

So this is a total of 6 stéréo channel out and one headphone.
    I need also 2 channel in (1 for effect send, 1 for recording, sampling)

Everything will be mixed on an xone 62 A&H

I don't know what is the better solution
    Get one soundcard for Traktor (like Audio 8 or any equivalence) + one souncard with 2 channel out and 2 channel in.
    OR
    one soundcard shared by both software.

What is the best solution regarding performance, stability, latency etc..

Thanks by advance

Philippe

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by elohyspoissonpilote View Post
    So this is a total of 6 stéréo channel out and one headphone.
    I need also 2 channel in (1 for effect send, 1 for recording, sampling)

Everything will be mixed on an xone 62 A&H
    If your using an external mixer (xone 62) it's not easy to have a good workflow with the preview player unless you have a spare mixer channel or are happy to keep unplugging your headphones from the mixer and plugging them into the interface.

If you want effect send / return though the laptop you need an interface with a very low latency, RME interfaces are often used for this but they are expensive.

Do you currently use ableton and if so what interface do you use?
    What is your current Traktor interface?

In short you might need to rethink your setup and try some things out before buying everything as it could get expensive.
    Xone DB4 | Pioneer DDJ-SP1 | DJ Tech CDJ 101 (x2) | Serato DJ
    NI X1 MKII | NI Scratch A6 | MF Twister | Traktor Pro 2
    Sennheiser HD 25 II | KRK Rokit 5 (x2) | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    Mixed In Key 8 | MusicBrainz Picard | Mixxx 2

Quote Originally Posted by rob2192 View Post
    If your using an external mixer (xone 62) it's not easy to have a good workflow with the preview player unless you have a spare mixer channel or are happy to keep unplugging your headphones from the mixer and plugging them into the interface.

If you want effect send / return though the laptop you need an interface with a very low latency, RME interfaces are often used for this but they are expensive.

Do you currently use ableton and if so what interface do you use?
    Before I had a esi44 mixvibes, now I have an esi44 and beetween that I had a cymatic audio lp16 shared wth traktor

What is your current Traktor interface?
    Actually my interface for TK is ZomoMC1000 (combo interface/controller). At the beginning i have the same and beetween, the cymatic ausio LP16 shared with Traktor.

In short you might need to rethink your setup and try some things out before buying everything as it could get expensive.
    My set up is quite already completed. I will just change the Zomo MC 1000 by a traktor X or Xone K1 and inb the same time, finalize choice for interface.The main question is : 1 interface for each software or 1 interface for both sofware. what is the better solution ?

Audio 10 has five stereo outs, meaning you can output Traktor and Ableton. I'd run Ableton out as one stereo channel mixed 'in the box' unless there's a real reason to need two stereo outs.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    Audio 10 has five stereo outs, meaning you can output Traktor and Ableton. I'd run Ableton out as one stereo channel mixed 'in the box' unless there's a real reason to need two stereo outs.
    Thanks for answer. The second stereo out for ableton is to collect the effect return signal sending by the xone62 send channel. The audio10 is point of interest for me but, yes, I would miss on stereo channel.
    But I still nto have a clear answer to the main question. What is the best choice beetween 1 single soundcard share by both software (2 channel for Abt and 4 fot TK) and 2 soundcard, one for each software?

Hi,
    Finally, I decided to go on 2 soundcards:
    1 Native Instrument audio 8 for the 4 stereo channel of Traktor
    1 Native Instrument Komplete 6 for Ableton
    Quick intergartion, very good stability, low latencies and powerfull output level is the luckily result of that choice.
    The same building format and dimension will allow me to join both unit to make ony one in a rackable format.
    I never had any crash and drop out since i got it.

Ok, finally I decided to go in the way of 2 soundcard, one for Traktor (Audio 8) and the other one for Ableton (Komplete audio 6)
    I don't regret my choice foir many reasons:
    Good stability and low latency, even when i charged the set up (4 decks playing, ableton playing 3 to 6 loops clips, and use ableton and traktor effect (don't worry, it was a test, i don't play all that in a set).
    Cheaper way as i buy both soundcard in secondhand market, less than 250€ for the 2 soundcard.

Same building format as I can joint the soundcard for make a rackable unitDiapositive1.JPG

This is the final set up resulting from that choice