How do i actually set up and record my hardware into Logic?

Default How do i actually set up and record my hardware into Logic?

Someone please help me with this, struggling at the moment and I just want to record my hardware into Logic Pro 9.

I have:

Novation Bass Station II,
    Roland TB-3,
    Roland TR-505.

They're all plugged into my Allen and Heath Zed 10 interface, which is the audio I/O for my iMac.

How do I actually set them up properly to be recorded into Logic? I want to record in the sounds i make when pressing keys and of course record in when I'm playing with distortion and filters and cut off and stuff on my synths.

Do open up an Audio track? When i do this, it records really quietly and i can hear the metronome recorded in as well.

or external MIDI? When i do this, sounds fine but, if im recording 2 different external midi tracks, i cant mute or solo one or the other, and it doesn't seem like i'm doing it right...

What do I actually have to do to properly set up and record all of my hardware into Logic.
    Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

Tech Guru

Sit down and read the manuals. Youve bought thousands of dollars of complicated gear. This is going to take years to master.

The mixer manual will explain to you how mixers work and how to connect things.

The logic manual will tell you how to record.

Tech Wizard

That interface is really more a mixer with the ability to record all audio running through it, not individual channels of the mixer hence why you can't mute or solo individual tracks in logic. So to do this you have to record each individual part, or solo them via the mixer, not logic.

I'd assume your issue when using the audio track is that it is set to use the built in mic on your mac, not the A&H ZED.

If you want to record separate instruments simultaneously you are going to need some kind of digital recording interface with enough inputs to handle the number of things you want to record.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    Sit down and read the manuals. Youve bought thousands of dollars of complicated gear. This is going to take years to master.

The mixer manual will explain to you how mixers work and how to connect things.

The logic manual will tell you how to record.
    This is something I will have to do at some point, i do read them and get help to do things, but just simply recording them into Logic, doesn't seem to be going right for me...
    Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack4 View Post
    That interface is really more a mixer with the ability to record all audio running through it, not individual channels of the mixer hence why you can't mute or solo individual tracks in logic. So to do this you have to record each individual part, or solo them via the mixer, not logic.

I'd assume your issue when using the audio track is that it is set to use the built in mic on your mac, not the A&H ZED.

If you want to record separate instruments simultaneously you are going to need some kind of digital recording interface with enough inputs to handle the number of things you want to record.

Hope this helps.
    Right, so possibly I need to get a proper audio interface, with enough INS and OUTS to plug all my stuff into?

I have the Zed10 set as the audio in and out for Logic, and my iMac, what I'm struggling with is, what kind of track to i need to have open in Logic for my instruments, to record? audio track sounds terrible and isn't recording properly, i just dont know what i need to do, how can i just have my Bass station, TB3, 505, all opened up in Logic and able to be recorded into a track...

Something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Akai-EIE-P...gAAOSwwE5Wav2H ?

If this is the route i need to go, getting rid of the zed 10 mixing desk that I've got and getting a proper audio interface, obviously one with enough I/O to plug my gear into, will that make recording into Logic simpler?

I'll want XLR in for my monitors, and then 1/4 inputs for my TB3, 505, and Bass Station. Prefer to run them all mono, so would only need 3 or 4 single 1/4 ins

right..... just dug out my old Lexicon Alpha interface, plugged my bass station into Line 1, and TB3 into Line 2, opened 2 audio tracks, and recorded them both into Logic fine, and they played back fine....

Must have something to do with the Zed 10 mixer/interface that i have been using.... Had it connected the same way, into the single 1/4 line jacks, but just wasn't working properly for reason... Need to get some new cables for the Lexicon Alpha though, REALLY bad humming with the old split rca cables i was using. (using XLR to XLR with the zed 10 to my monitors, no option for that on lexicon).

Going to sell up the zed 10 and get a better audio interface with a nice amount of inputs for my hardware. Will get better cables to use my lexicon for now tho.

One thing, when i click on 'input' on the audio tracks in logic, i can only see 'input 1' and 'input 2', is that because logic detects that i only have a 2 INPUT interface? If i got a 4 I/O interface, would it give me the option for input '1-4' under the Audio Track?

So each instrument can have its own audio track, is that correct?

Because even with the Zed 10, which has 4 mono, and 2 stereo, it still only ever said 'input 1 or 2' under audio track.

EDIT: An upgrade to the Lexicon interface that i have: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexicon-Om...UAAOSwI-BWQx2u

It has 4 line inputs, so thats the Bass station, tb3. 505, and spare line input 4 for another mono instrument that i may get, right? Can plug my monitors in via TRS.

Need to find the best interface that i need for my gear, forgive me, im not all clued up on this, so im not exactly sure what i do and dont need
    Last edited by Superfreak; 12-22-2015 at 05:23 PM.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

That interface is really more a mixer with the ability to record all audio running through it, not individual channels of the mixer hence why you can't mute or solo individual tracks in logic.
    The Zed is only 2in 2out soundcard, one of the few which allows each individual channel be recorded into the computer while bypassing non-record enabled channels.

Because even with the Zed 10, which has 4 mono, and 2 stereo, it still only ever said 'input 1 or 2' under audio track.
    Those inputs are only the analogue inputs NOT the digital (stereo) so only a single soundcard would show up in logic which would record onto stereo audio tracks by default.

I don't think you can get much easier than pressing a button on a mixer to enable recording and pressing record on the audio track in logic ?

More recording channels will enable you to simultaneously record more stuff at once, but I don't believe it will make things "easier"

The issue sounds like what would happen if this was the case or you have an aggregate device setup which combines your ZED and internal mic as inputs.

Right, so possibly I need to get a proper audio interface, with enough INS and OUTS to plug all my stuff into?
    Nope, Simply Set ensure your ZED is set as the Audio input device within Logic preferences and Check you are not using an aggregate device in the Mac Audio/Midi Setup.

Have you tried recording with any other software e.g. Audiacity with the ZED to check if the inputs or record channels are working as they should ?

From the sounds of it you might have:
    - A broken ZED which is not routing the outputs properly
    - Record is enabled on the master on ZED, headphone output or FX channels on Zed
    - Your Zed is not selected as the input device in logic and are recording the mic sounds on your mac instead of recording the ZED's input.
    - You have an aggregate audio device setup on your mac which is recording the mic as the primary source.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    The Zed is only 2in 2out soundcard, one of the few which allows each individual channel be recorded into the computer while bypassing non-record enabled channels.

Those inputs are only the analogue inputs NOT the digital (stereo) so only a single soundcard would show up in logic which would record onto stereo audio tracks by default.

I don't think you can get much easier than pressing a button on a mixer to enable recording and pressing record on the audio track in logic ?

More recording channels will enable you to simultaneously record more stuff at once, but I don't believe it will make things "easier"

The issue sounds like what would happen if this was the case or you have an aggregate device setup which combines your ZED and internal mic as inputs.

Nope, Simply Set ensure your ZED is set as the Audio input device within Logic preferences and Check you are not using an aggregate device in the Mac Audio/Midi Setup.

Have you tried recording with any other software e.g. Audiacity with the ZED to check if the inputs or record channels are working as they should ?

From the sounds of it you might have:
    - A broken ZED which is not routing the outputs properly
    - Record is enabled on the master on ZED, headphone output or FX channels on Zed
    - Your Zed is not selected as the input device in logic and are recording the mic sounds on your mac instead of recording the ZED's input.
    - You have an aggregate audio device setup on your mac which is recording the mic as the primary source.
    I've checked, and no record buttons are enabled. Everything is set correctly in terms of audio, iMac is set to my Zed 10, Logic Pro has the zed 10 set for audio I/O, too.

So everything is as it should be.

It's not recording the mic Input, I'm sure, I can hear the different between low quality and the actual mic recording, it's not that bad.

Thing is, I hooked up my old Lexicon Alpha interface, and it all records in properly on audio tracks and sounds fine..... So must be something to do wit the zed 10. It has just two 1/4 line inputs on the back for 2 of my machines, the TB-3 and Bass Station. And I'll just swap out and use both inputs at once when I want to use something stereo..

So maybe I should get a bigger audio interface with more inputs so I can hook up all of my gear. Will sell the zed 10 and get a proper interface With more I/Os