A few questions

Thread: A few questions

Default A few questions

I've listened to only a few tracks from a genres, trap and trance being the most dominant influences. I'm part of a family karaoke business on the technical side, and now the new idea is to branch out into offering sound services, particularly as a dj. After doing my own research on midi fighters, Ableton, and the technical side of setting it up, I still have some questions left:

1. Is it possible to connect two or more midi controllers to a single source (i.e. my Mac laptop) ? If not, should I use a usb hub or a soundcard to connect multiple Midi devices?
    2. How would I go about recording sound to edit/use on a track? Should I use Ableton or another software to record the sound?
    3. Is it absolutely necessary to have speakers when producing a track?

I will be getting my purchases in January after my parents get the money to invest in the hardware and software. Thank you

Tech Mentor

Question 1:
    YES. No problem to connect multiple midi devices over USB to your computer. But it ist important to assign the right midi in/out options. Sound interface are used to produce sound, but you can link up midi devices via an old fashioned midi connector.

Question 2:
    To simply record your sounds you can use AUDACITY. Ableton LIVE ist a fully featured DAW. If you have LIVE you donīt need anything else to produce, record and edit sounds.

Question 3:
    YES, or you are a kind of Beethoven, who was producing his tracks deaf.
    Good speakers or at least headphones are necessary to listen to your music in a clean and dry way. Producing music with bass amplified headphones will result in the lack of bass in your recordings. This will be dramatic, when this music is played on other speakers or headphones!

MacBookPro 11,1 | i5 2,4GHz | 16 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD
    MacOSX 10.15.x | TraktorPro 3.x | VCI-100 SE FW 1.4 | VCI-400 SE (EGE)

Quote Originally Posted by c0nsul View Post
    Question 1:
    YES. No problem to connect multiple midi devices over USB to your computer. But it ist important to assign the right midi in/out options. Sound interface are used to produce sound, but you can link up midi devices via an old fashioned midi connector.

Question 2:
    To simply record your sounds you can use AUDACITY. Ableton LIVE ist a fully featured DAW. If you have LIVE you donīt need anything else to produce, record and edit sounds.

Question 3:
    YES, or you are a kind of Beethoven, who was producing his tracks deaf.
    Good speakers or at least headphones are necessary to listen to your music in a clean and dry way. Producing music with bass amplified headphones will result in the lack of bass in your recordings. This will be dramatic, when this music is played on other speakers or headphones!
    Thank you very much for your response
    I still have a few more questions regarding the connection issues:
    As mentioned before, I will be getting the Midi Fighter 3D, Midi Fighter Twister, Ableton, and the Komplete Audio 6 sound card as my setup. My future setup will hopefully look like:
    Midi Fighter 3D + Twister -> Komplete Audio 6 sound card -> Ableton (w/ proper speakers)

Since I have 2 midi devices I need to connect to this sound card, how would I go about doing so, via usb or through midi connectors? Are there any better sound cards I'm missing out on/any mixers I may need to invest in to make the connection work? And will Ableton be able to read this particular sound card? Thank you for the help