SPL ratings between JBL and RCF
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default SPL ratings between JBL and RCF

Looking into getting the RCF 745A to replace my JBL system with something that gets higher SPL and is just overall higher quality. Also, it will match my other RCF stuff. (Mrx 500 series with crown xti 4000)
    Anyways, stopped in on my friend working the large room at a hall to see his glow stick party turned out 1300 kids.
    He had two JBL pro 725s on stage and nothing else. Granted it was not as loud as it had to be and I heard some distortion, but he was keeping up. I didn't feel like I had to run him some more equipment. I looked up the rating and it says they are rated for 139db

The rcf 745 is rated for 133db, but a video I watched of the red rep at a trade show said they got 136db out of "that box"

I know the 745 will sound clearer, but does RCF "underrate" and JBL "overrate" or does the jbl speake really sound 1.5 times as loud as the 745a?

Quote Originally Posted by Entheos406 View Post
    Looking into getting the RCF 745A to replace my JBL system with something that gets higher SPL and is just overall higher quality. Also, it will match my other RCF stuff. (Mrx 500 series with crown xti 4000)
    Anyways, stopped in on my friend working the large room at a hall to see his glow stick party turned out 1300 kids.
    He had two JBL pro 725s on stage and nothing else. Granted it was not as loud as it had to be and I heard some distortion, but he was keeping up. I didn't feel like I had to run him some more equipment. I looked up the rating and it says they are rated for 139db

The rcf 745 is rated for 133db, but a video I watched of the red rep at a trade show said they got 136db out of "that box"

I know the 745 will sound clearer, but does RCF "underrate" and JBL "overrate" or does the jbl speake really sound 1.5 times as loud as the 745a?
    man those RCF's are so overpriced. $1500 EACH speaker for a 700W RMS plastic box?

I personally love to have 2 smaller tops and a subwoofer. But if you love the 15" tops you should consider listening to the Yamaha DXR15's. Half the price of the RCF's and you get the same 700W RMS power. The Yamaha's are a better looking speaker too.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

I've heard this RCF sub is bangin'

Has anyone had a chance to listen to it live?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...l/prm/alsVwDtl

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    man those RCF's are so overpriced. $1500 EACH speaker for a 700W RMS plastic box?

I personally love to have 2 smaller tops and a subwoofer. But if you love the 15" tops you should consider listening to the Yamaha DXR15's. Half the price of the RCF's and you get the same 700W RMS power. The Yamaha's are a better looking speaker too.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details
    The RCF has a 4" voice coil on its compression driver and crosses over at 650hz instead of 1700hz like most two way boxes. Check it out. The Yamaha has a 1" voice could on its compression driver. No comparison. Kinda ironic that the whole point of the post was to cut through marketing hype and I got a watts vs watts response.
    Some companies inflate their wattage numbers. Others keep it real. My question is: does JBL inflate their SPL numbers? I know the RCF will sound noticeable clearer, but as far as loudness is concerned will the RCF keep up with the JBL's claimed 139DB?

Tech Mentor

I've heard this RCF sub is bangin'

Has anyone had a chance to listen to it live?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...l/prm/alsVwDtl
    I own the 18" version of that sub. While it is nice, I'm upgrading to their 8004AS.

I was subbing for my friend at a nightclub and brought my system with one sub708as and we had that thing hitting so hard it was shaking my jaw and my forehead when the bass line fluxed during GDFR. Crowd of about 300 on ST paddy's day.

So for a start you're comparing the Single 15" RCF to the Dual 15" JBL. It's going to go louder by virtue of it being able to push more air, and it will probably go deeper as well. I'm not going to say that it'll sound better by any stretch but in all honesty you'd be better off going with a pair of ART735's and trying to get a deal on a 4PRO8003AS to go under them ... and in the long run getting another 4PRO8003AS to really keep up with the ART735's. Reason for ART735's instead of the 745's, they sound more balanced as a stand-a-lone box and give very similar results to the 745's when used with subs. The 745's have quite a bit of bark to their top end and are more suited to be used with subs all the time.

Other than that, not sure how the RCF HD32's are priced where you are but they have some serious poke for a 12" box and match up well with the 4PRO8003 under them. Smaller boxes so easier to move around and still give very decent results by themselves.

I see the days of just using a pair of 15" & horns are drawing to an end because you can get better sound and manageability out of smaller tops and a sub ... I'd take a pair of 10" & horn tops with a single 15" sub any day of the week over a pair of 15" & horns (for example, the ART710A's with ART905AS sub), but it sounds like you want to eventually have a larger system and so the 15" tops will scale up well with some decent 18" subs under them.
    Main Gig Comp - MacBook Air 11" 1.3GHz i5, 4GB, 512GB, OS X 10.12.6
    Gig Gear - TSP 2.6.8 & 2.11.2, Kontrol X1mk2 (x2), D2 (x2), S5, Xone:92, Xone:PX5, CDJ-2000 (x2), DDJ-XP1 ... Rekordbox DJ 5 with a few packs ...
    Plenty of studio gear and not enough time ... and a few Nexo PA systems

The RCF has a 4" voice coil on its compression driver and crosses over at 650hz instead of 1700hz like most two way boxes. Check it out. The Yamaha has a 1" voice could on its compression driver. No comparison. Kinda ironic that the whole point of the post was to cut through marketing hype and I got a watts vs watts response.
    Some companies inflate their wattage numbers. Others keep it real. My question is: does JBL inflate their SPL numbers? I know the RCF will sound noticeable clearer, but as far as loudness is concerned will the RCF keep up with the JBL's claimed 139DB?
    listen to the Yamahas if you get a chance.

Tech Mentor

listen to the Yamahas if you get a chance.
    I had the Yamaha club series and was tired of old ladies telling me turn it down. When I upgraded to JBL and RCF people could still hold a conversation while the music was playing. There is a dealer in town that has Yamaha so if they have this model I will listen but when I think of Yamaha I think of getting bitten in the eardrum.

I had the Yamaha club series and was tired of old ladies telling me turn it down. When I upgraded to JBL and RCF people could still hold a conversation while the music was playing. There is a dealer in town that has Yamaha so if they have this model I will listen but when I think of Yamaha I think of getting bitten in the eardrum.
    People and brands. So strange.

Tech Mentor

How do you figure? I owned Yamaha club series and behringer speakers and they sounded awful. I traded up for some higher end JBL and some entry level RCF and have noticed an increase in clarity and a reduction in white noise.
    Rather than saying:
    How about responding to my concern that one of Yamaha's most popular products sounds like ass?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast