SPL ratings between JBL and RCF - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

"one of Yamaha's most popular products sounds like ass" because it's made of cheap components stuffed into a box design that hasn't changed in what, 20 or 30 years? It also is a passive box and so you are relying on the amplifier that you use and most of the time with cheap speakers comes a cheap amp.
    As a wise person once said, "you can't polish a turd" ...
    Main Gig Comp - MacBook Air 11" 1.3GHz i5, 4GB, 512GB, OS X 10.12.6
    Gig Gear - TSP 2.6.8 & 2.11.2, Kontrol X1mk2 (x2), D2 (x2), S5, Xone:92, Xone:PX5, CDJ-2000 (x2), DDJ-XP1 ... Rekordbox DJ 5 with a few packs ...
    Plenty of studio gear and not enough time ... and a few Nexo PA systems

This is my method for checking out speakers before I buy them.

Find companies who use them. Go to an event where they are being used. LISTEN TO THEM. Then decide.

There's a reason why I prefer QSC and Bose speakers. It's not because of the price. It's because of how they sound.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Bassline Brine View Post
    This is my method for checking out speakers before I buy them.

Find companies who use them. Go to an event where they are being used. LISTEN TO THEM. Then decide.

There's a reason why I prefer QSC and Bose speakers. It's not because of the price. It's because of how they sound.
    The problem with your theory is that sound companies have engineers tweaking the sound.

Sometimes you won't be able to reproduce that.

Quote Originally Posted by frankle View Post
    "one of Yamaha's most popular products sounds like ass" because it's made of cheap components stuffed into a box design that hasn't changed in what, 20 or 30 years? It also is a passive box and so you are relying on the amplifier that you use and most of the time with cheap speakers comes a cheap amp.
    As a wise person once said, "you can't polish a turd" ...
    Yamaha Clubs are classic speakers. My friend has 4 at his warehouse running off a Crown and they are solid.

They play loud and clean. And the price is nice.

Of course you can pay more and get a better rig, but for the price they are great.

Tech Wizard

http://www.funktion-one.com/dl/files...ide%20v1.1.pdf

See Appendix C on page 57. SPL ratings for speakers are nearly meaningless. Shop for sensitivity. If they don't list sensitivity, it's probably because it isn't good.

Sensitivity is only relevant in passive speakers.

SPL ratings are relevant for powered speakers.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    Sensitivity is only relevant in passive speakers.

SPL ratings are relevant for powered speakers.
    http://sound.westhost.com/articles/pa.htm

Like I said before

Quote Originally Posted by Entheos406 View Post
    How do you figure? I owned Yamaha club series and behringer speakers and they sounded awful. I traded up for some higher end JBL and some entry level RCF and have noticed an increase in clarity and a reduction in white noise.
    Rather than saying:

How about responding to my concern that one of Yamaha's most popular products sounds like ass?

Yamaha Club series are old. They are targeted for basic no frills money conscious consumers.

Yamaha bought Nexo around 5 years ago and the are using that R&D in developing their new stuff.

RCF is great but I think they are overpriced. The Yamaha DXRs are ridiculous for the price. They sound like $2000 boxes from 10 years ago for $600.

I think the RCF's sound like $1000 boxes for $1400. I think the Yamahas sound like $1000 boxes for $600.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassline Brine View Post
    There's a reason why I prefer QSC and Bose speakers.
    This 100 times over. It surprises me how many people just overlook, don't know/care about, or for whatever reason, don't get QSC. They are loud, high quality speakers, with an amazing warranty and customer service. Honestly, none of the other companies touch them as far as 2 way powered speakers and subs go in that price range.

That said, you look at how many people have bought KRK monitors for their home studio when most stores have a pair of Yamahas right next to them, ready to demo... people buy what they hear is best rather than listening for what is the best.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast