beer spilled on/in MF Spectra

Default beer spilled on/in MF Spectra

New year, new broken gear.

On my new years gig i got beer spilled on my gear for the first time ever. Didn't exactly know what to do, since i was the only dj and the floor was packed.

Got beer spilled on my MF Spectra. I immediately pulled the usb plug and turned the Spectra upside down so the liquid doesn't damage more than it might have already done.
    There was nothing more i could do at this moment.
    Well the next day after the gig i plugged it in. 2 LED's are faulty and a few buttons are sticky. I tried taking the controller appart but i only managed to unscrew it but nothing more.

Is there somebody here who took their Spectra completely appart and could help me, since i don't want to damage anything.

Cheers
    Last edited by Ed Paris; 01-04-2016 at 03:18 AM.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

sorry to hear... i would get with the owner/manager and tell them they need to get you a new one because a patron got careless

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    sorry to hear... i would get with the owner/manager and tell them they need to get you a new one because a patron got careless
    We already talked about that. Thing is, that the Spectra isn't available anymore in the store and also this one has the wooden panel. So i'd rather try and take it apart and see if i can fix it on my own. Only thing is, that i really don't know where to start since it feels like that the button shells seems to be glued. I don't know. Maybe it'll be best to directly contact the Djtt guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Paris View Post
    We already talked about that. Thing is, that the Spectra isn't available anymore in the store and also this one has the wooden panel. So i'd rather try and take it apart and see if i can fix it on my own. Only thing is, that i really don't know where to start since it feels like that the button shells seems to be glued. I don't know. Maybe it'll be best to directly contact the Djtt guys.
    wow man sorry to hear that... maybe you have some electronics repair spots near you if the DJTT guys cant offer much help

I've not taken apart a Spectra yet, but if it's using the standard Sanwa arcade buttons, then not only can you take those apart to clean them out (they are tough as nails), but pretty much any arcade component supplier carries them, as lots of people who build fightsticks, home arcade/mame cabinets and hitboxes love to use Sanwa parts, so getting replacements is not hard.

The LEDs are another matter as they are probably surface mounted ones and not that easy to replace.

Could could up the ante and demand the person responsible contributes the cost of a spectra to buying a new 3d as another option...

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcaller View Post
    I've not taken apart a Spectra yet, but if it's using the standard Sanwa arcade buttons, then not only can you take those apart to clean them out (they are tough as nails), but pretty much any arcade component supplier carries them, as lots of people who build fightsticks, home arcade/mame cabinets and hitboxes love to use Sanwa parts, so getting replacements is not hard.

The LEDs are another matter as they are probably surface mounted ones and not that easy to replace.

Could could up the ante and demand the person responsible contributes the cost of a spectra to buying a new 3d as another option...
    I guess they're Sanwa but i don't know. Actually i can live with 1/2 faulty LEDs but i need to know how to get the buttons out to clean them since i use the Spectra at almost every gig.

The buttons are very easy to take apart and thus clean but aren't they soldered to the pcb? if so your only option is (apart from desoldering them) to pop out the plunger by pressing on the hooks that hold it in the outer shell (accessible trough the square holes on the sides) and try to clean the insides of the buttons with a damp cloth that way. I think you can actually reach these hooks with an wooden skewer since the buttons in the spectra are rotated 30 degrees.

Edit: Damn it forgot about the cylinders that are there to prevent the light from escaping to other buttons. You will really need to desolder the buttons from the PCB if you want to take them apart.
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Quote Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou View Post
    The buttons are very easy to take apart and thus clean but aren't they soldered to the pcb? if so your only option is (apart from desoldering them) to pop out the plunger by pressing on the hooks that hold it in the outer shell (accessible trough the square holes on the sides) and try to clean the insides of the buttons with a damp cloth that way. I think you can actually reach these hooks with an wooden skewer since the buttons in the spectra are rotated 30 degrees.

Edit: Damn it forgot about the cylinders that are there to prevent the light from escaping to other buttons. You will really need to desolder the buttons from the PCB if you want to take them apart.
    Just had a chat with the djtt support. The buttons are soldered to the pcb. So i guess i need to hit up the locals electronics guy to help me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Paris View Post
    Just had a chat with the djtt support. The buttons are soldered to the pcb. So i guess i need to hit up the locals electronics guy to help me out.
    Yhea they are very easy to desolder, should be an easy job with the right tools.
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI