Newbie with a question about digital audio - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Wizard

OK, I looked at Prime Cuts. That service gives you the current songs weekly, it seems. Can you order older songs, or is it just to stay current after having the older base library done? It looked like Beatport was also a subscription service but you could search and download older songs as well. Both seem to have pros....PC sends the CD's (if selected) with the tracks as well as the download, BP would let you search for older songs to download...not sure if they stay as current as PC, etc. Thanks for your patience....I just want enough info to make a good decision on which to use.

And I will look at the iTunes instead of Amazon if the AAC format is better than the MP3 for the 256 level to get the initial songs I need.
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    iTunes files are 256kbps AAC which are as good (in some cases better depending on the mastering) than 320kbps MP3

Amazon however are 256k MP3
    Amazon is V0.

I doubt anyone could distinguish any difference between 256 kbps AAC, 320 kbps CBR MP3, and V0 MP3.

Personally, I avoid AAC because of the possibility for format problems, like when with a Traktor update on Windows, AAC files stopped working for some reason.

Anything you need for a 15 year old party will be on Amazon.

Look on Soundcloud or Other DJ sites for remixes of popular tunes if you want to add some spice to your sets.

The Weeknd - Can't Feel My Face (Keljet Edit) will get you started

Tech Wizard

anyone told you that you're a cool papa ?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by vzk View Post
    anyone told you that you're a cool papa ?
    My kids have, when they are not in trouble. And their friends have many times. I just want to make sure when I spoil them, it is things that will benefit them in the future. She wanted to DJ, so gear for that. He wanted to try his hand at music production, so trying to get him setup. So far, a Blue Yeti and MXL R144 mic and am looking at a 2i4 for him (or similar.) He also has the Akai MPK Mini.

Currently he is using GarageBand. Tried his hand at the Ableton Live Demo and liked it, but says GarageBand is more user friendly.
    Shawn

You won't go wrong with mp3 at all. 256/320kbps for what your daughter is doing is fine.
    Your daughter will know what to play, don't worry about that, she'll be able to tell you what she should be playing.. as far as explicit goes, if you have explicit versions, drop an effect at the explicit word.. don't be buying the same track twice. The radio friendly edits are what you should go for if you are getting tracks, as mentioned. You'll offend no-one this way.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Tech Wizard

Thanks, I have purchased all the music she needed for the event through a combination of iTunes, Amazon and buying a couple NOW CDs that had some of the requested songs to rip. Still interested in Prime Cuts, but want her to get a couple more things booked to ensure we have enough capital coming in to offset the cost of the service. Since she is just starting out, we really need to get her name out.
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by scgstuff View Post
    My kids have, when they are not in trouble. And their friends have many times. I just want to make sure when I spoil them, it is things that will benefit them in the future. She wanted to DJ, so gear for that. He wanted to try his hand at music production, so trying to get him setup. So far, a Blue Yeti and MXL R144 mic and am looking at a 2i4 for him (or similar.) He also has the Akai MPK Mini.

Currently he is using GarageBand. Tried his hand at the Ableton Live Demo and liked it, but says GarageBand is more user friendly.
    Check out the Korg Volca range for some proper hardware synthesisers that are very reasonably priced.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12