Research into older house music (80's and 90's)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Research into older house music (80's and 90's)

Hey guys,

So, I'm 19 and I'm a house DJ. I play music produced from about 2010 onward. I've just started looking into the older stuff in the genre and I've come across people like Frankie Knuckles, 808 State and The Housemaster Boyz. I'm looking at getting my own collection of vinyl together of house tracks, mainly deep house and acid house so I was wondering where/who I should be looking at to find these styles.

The earliest Juno goes back to is '99 but I was looking for stuff from earlier. I'll definitely be looking at what Juno has but I was wondering what your favourite artists/records were from anywhere between the birth of house up until now, specifically tracks that were released on vinyl that I can look at and eventually buy.

To get a feel of what I've been listening to, I've put together a Spotify playlist of all the releases I could find on there (obviously some of the tracks I've liked haven't been put on there). https://open.spotify.com/user/123359...DxStXZty39I9zN

Also, where would be some places to buy older acid/deep house vinyl in Australia?

Thanks guys,
    8Bit
    Last edited by That8BitMan; 01-16-2016 at 06:29 AM.

I commend you on getting your head into the history of house music

I don't know if discogs can help you in Oz but have a look because they have a ton of stuff you will like. I've been buying the ones I missed first time round from there. I always liked Farley Jackmaster Funk, Steve Silk Hurley et al. Labels like Strictly Rhythm and Junior Boys Own might also be up your street.

For Acid House, find a copy of Phuture "Acid Tracks" and A Guy Called Gerald "Vodoo Ray" and go from there.
    This is scripture
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

Labels:
    Strictly Rhythm, Henry Street, Murk, Hard Times, DJ International, Trax, Black Market, House Jam, Junior Boys Own, Fresh Fruit, 4th & Broadway, Nervous, Shelter

Artists/remixers:
    Masters at Work, Larry Heard, Red Zone, Chez Damier, Todd Terry, David Morales, Roger Sanchez, Mood II Swing, CJ Macintosh, Kerri Chandler, Terrence Parker, Kenny Dixon Jr., X-Press 2, DJ Pierre, Romanthony
    SC | MC

For older deep house, get Larry Heard and branch out from there.

For acid, get Soul Jazz Records Acid - Can You Jack Vols 1 & 2, and branch out from there.

Really old Chicago House (many of the first Chicago house records, including acid) was primarily DJ International and Trax labels. Nicky's list of artists is spot on for some of the older, great producers, although I'd also add Boo Williams, Gemini, Green Velvet/Cajmere and DJ Sneak. Relief Records became another big Chicago house label in the early 90's. Nervous and Strictly Rhythm were the bomb back then.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Mentor

Listen to old sets and check the tracklistings people have compiled online on the oldskool forums then buy the vinyl from discogs m8

The house of hits history of house music and the history of the house sound of Chicago are 2 big ol compilation box sets that contain a lot of the early chicago and detroit stuff to you started.

Sometimes when I go through my old vinyl I'm like "wow this sounds like crap. I use to play this track?"
    Some of it really doesn't hold up.
    Still feeling this :

One more

Damn near anything by MAW is gold.

Oh, and I forgot about Lil Louis. He had a tune or two back in the day.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Paper Recordings is another label to check out

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Paper Recordings is another label to check out
    This^^^.
    I have most of the early Paper 12"s - they are local to me and are a legendary imprint.
    'Downtime' is one of my favourite house tracks of all time...I've posted it on here numerous times IIRC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast