New Poineer Nexus 2 Gear, traktor, serato, virtual dJ
    Tech Mentor

Default New Poineer Nexus 2 Gear, traktor, serato, virtual dJ

I am a magnet for choosing hardware that won't be supported. I got the numark V7s when they were new. Still have them. I started using the vestax vci-400 ege and vestax went out of business.

I like traktor and feel really burned by Serato in that they cannot support 4 decks with the V7.

My favorite tool by far is the filter knob on my vestax. Makes mixing so easy. I don't have to worry, it makes everything nice and neat.

Here's where I'm at. I have real money coming in, and am looking at gear purchases differently. I'm really interested in the DJM 900, and thinking that some CDJ's would be nice. I am a controllerist though, and I've only used tractor to really DJ with, I was too much of a beginner when I used itch. Do I have the filter knob on the DJM 900? If not will I miss it? In order to help me through the learning curve can I put my CDJs in HID mode and run tractor? Can I map effects to the jog wheel? Is there a benefit to running serato now? I own three licenses to traktor pro.

What about virtual DJ? I can resurrect my V7s in 4 deck mode with an extra sound card and a copy of virtual DJ.

I'm lost. I'm comfortable mixing on the vci-400 but at the same time I hate the low output and having to crank my speakers and I cant stand not being able to adjust volume on my mic at a wedding during a toast without reaching in back and fumbling around.

Tech Convert

I will help answer your traktor and djm/cdj questions.

Does the djm 900 have the filter knob? Yes, you have the color effects (on the left side of the mixer), that essentially gives you 4 dedicated filter knobs (one for each channel). You also have the beat effects (to the right of the mixer), and the filter (and plenty of other effects) is (are) available there as well. Although, the type of filter you seem to be talking about/interested in would more likely be the color effect filter.

If you are going the traktor route, then you can also midi map the traktor filters to knobs that you wouldn't typically use on the mixer. Like the microphone control knobs (located on the top left of the mixer). But if you are using your mic, then obviously you wouldn't do this.

I can only speak in regards to CDJ 2000 Nexus, which are plug and play with traktor (although I think the regular 2000's are as well). With the 2000 nxs, you need 1 cable, a USB cable (and power cable, duh) which you would plug into your hub and you are ready to go. I am assuming that you would be using the DJM 900 in conjunction with the CDJ's, correct? Nonetheless, you don't have to put them in HID mode, you just press "Link" on the CDJ, it'll ask you which deck you want to control, and that's it (it will already be in HID mode).

Ok, now, regarding the title of your post..."Nexus 2 Gear". I mean if you are talking about the DJM 900 nx2 and the CDJ 2000 nx2, well, to my knowledge, there hasn't been any information released regarding traktor support (let alone HID support for the CDJ 2000 nxs 2). But if you are going to be running this sort of set up via traktor, the DJM 900 nxs and CDJ 2000 nxs should suffice.

And sorry can't help you out with the CDJ jog wheel effects question, but I am sure someone will chime in.

Tech Mentor

Yes, for filter I mean the dedicated knob that allows you to cut the bass and just play the treble of a track without having to reach up and eq.
    I will probably be using both mics because I'm a wedding DJ, but I have been invited to do local club work, just turned it down because it's not my time.

I like gear that sounds good, is reliable, doesn't out-date so fast. I figure instead of buying another controller I should get a DJM 900 nexus MK2 and a few small traktor controllers (the little things the size of the F1s) while I save up for the CDJ Nexus 2000 mk2.