How to use laptop as a SINGLE DECK in a DJ setup
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default How to use laptop as a SINGLE DECK in a DJ setup

Hi

I really like simple djing and I'm after a way to treat my laptop as a singular deck in my 2x turntable setup, INSTEAD of using it the conventional way as the virtual hub of the setup. I want to run the laptop into the mixer as a regular old line input - kind of like a virtual CDJ sitting next to my two tts.
    Basically if itunes had a pitch fader that would be enough for me, but some sort of CDJ-replicating vst would be sweet.
    I thought about using live 9 but that would be WAY too meaty for this task - and it still doesn't really offer a simple pitch fader and trasnport/cue buttons (obvs it does but in the context of a daw, not a cdj)
    If there is a way to strip serato or traktor down to one deck with one line output that my laptop's soundcard is responsible for, i'd be keen to give that a go too.

basically please chuck me any recommendations you have, the far out and sort-of solutions are welcome

cheers

I don't really understand the question. Just use your favorite DJ program and only ever use one of its decks. Where's the problem?
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Tech Convert

i was under the impression software like serato could only be used with serato branded hardware plugged in, not by itself

idk you can tell ive never really tried to teach myself about dj programs

You might be right about Serato, I don't know. But Traktor, for example, would work with your laptop's soundcard.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Tech Convert

ok just downloaded serato and it looked perfect at first glance, but sadly all it gives me is the library, loops and cuepoints and a display of the song, but no pitch fader!!!

so it IS all about getting me to buy hardware after all.

does traktor's one-deck view give me a pitch fader?

What hardware have you got?

'cos I really do get the idea of what you want to do, and, honestly, one of the free/demo versions of Ableton Live would do it, and you'd only need one of these hardware wise:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DJ-TECH-VT...gAAOSwofxUdHSc

I'm tempted to grab one myself at that price...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by fimpson View Post
    ok just downloaded serato and it looked perfect at first glance, but sadly all it gives me is the library, loops and cuepoints and a display of the song, but no pitch fader!!!

so it IS all about getting me to buy hardware after all.

does traktor's one-deck view give me a pitch fader?
    What about Mixxx? You get it for free and it provides a pitch fader and more.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    What hardware have you got?

'cos I really do get the idea of what you want to do, and, honestly, one of the free/demo versions of Ableton Live would do it, and you'd only need one of these hardware wise:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DJ-TECH-VT...gAAOSwofxUdHSc

I'm tempted to grab one myself at that price...
    hahaha that thing is pretty sweet - i assume the "a-b" xfader-like thing can be mapped for pitch. glad you get what i'm trying to do

my gear is two AT LP120s and a xone 22

i've got a scarlett 2i4 if that helps too. i pretty much just use it for sampling vinyl but it has rca outs...

i have live 9 suite and use it all the time. interaction-wise i thought about mapping the bpm to the up and down arrow keys to kind of make a pitch fader, but then there's the overkill of live's session view and warping, without any of the ease of having a serato style library right there. it takes my 2011 mbp a good 30 seconds to fully process a 5min+ mp3 320. i dont even think about aifs / wavs anymore except for drum hits, and convert any larger samples down before getting into them.
    i would have to plan the whole digital side of my set before playing, which takes heaps of the fun out imo. while a lot of dj's hate it, i think its actually a really important and fun part of the common house party for people to be able to throw you a usb or jump on youtube and chuck on some TLC at a moment's notice.

so while live would do the job, it would do it in a really convoluted and unintuitive way - for me at least. richie hawtin can do what he likes.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Paris View Post
    What about Mixxx? You get it for free and it provides a pitch fader and more.
    What I was about to suggest!

Tech Convert

yep playing around with mixxx now to see what its like.

i've gotta admit, serato's library is really good - and mixxx's is shit. it comes up with an unknown error message every time i try to make a crate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast