Basic sound system design help! possible midi option.

Default Basic sound system design help! possible midi option.

Hi Guys, Im designing a basic sound system for a new buisness, i thought to post here as many of you guys are tech savvy but also as an after thought that my question posted below might have a midi based control option.

Heres where I’m at:

Im building my own float tanks and float tank business, for those of you who are unaware of what a float tank is then here is a link.

Im using some tactile transducers in the shell of my design and a sound system with basic mixer amplifier to drive them.

The idea is that my customers when floating can plug in their personal device to listen to music whilst floating. Due to the nature of the floating environment I plan to only have one waterproof volume control within the tank itself. The idea being that the customer will plug in their media device and let it play, they can then personally set the volume or kill the signal all together, they will have no other control over media device. Im avoiding infrared/wifi/bluetooth signals within the floating environment, hence just the implementation of a simple volume pot.

We have another input which plays music which lets the floater know that their float has began and when their float has finished. The problem is that the input for this prompt music is from our own separate source. If the customer has tuned the signal down then when we mix in the signal it won’t be heard.

I have attached two basic schematics where I looked at a work around for this problem.

The first has a switch which bypasses the volume pot thus allowing beginning/end signal to be played. My question, Is this possible? Will it work? or is there problems with doing this? I have a very limited understanding of sound design. I know that some of these volume pots have automatic impedance balancing, how relevant is this? Is it needed? I have also attached specs on transducers ill be using.

The second drawing I have divided the 3 speakers so that their is 2 speakers dedicated to the customers input and then a separate speaker with its own amplifier and zone splitter (for separate float tanks) to signal beginning and end of float.

Id really appreciate any input on these designs from the guys more davy than I, perhaps theres a better way of doing this? Im open to any ideas.

Many thanks in Advance

Julian.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

I've used these float tanks (I love 'em!) and as a user I'd like to share something with you.

For me, floating is about sensory deprivation. The reason I say this, is that listening to your own music (stuff that you are familiar with) could potentially detract from the experience.

I've floated in silence, and I've floated with some ambient music provided by the float place (nature/running water/bird song, etc..) and I honestly can't imagine getting the benefit of floating with any sounds other than those.

Now, some people MIGHT like to bring their own ambient type music, but, honestly, I think that playing any type of music that you are already familiar with would detract from the experience. (It would certainly cause some thoughts to pop into your head, which is exactly what you are trying to avoid through floating).

I understand that it's an option you'd like to offer - but a lot of people that use floatation tanks won't want to listen to tehir own music while in a chamber. And these are your repeat customers. Do you really want to cater to people that will only float once, and even then, not understand th ebenefit 'cos they were listening to Beiber???
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

The problem is that the input for this prompt music is from our own separate source. If the customer has tuned the signal down then when we mix in the signal it won’t be heard.
    Not a problem, only the spawning of a (potentially) great idea z

Now someone get me the number of the Patent Office

I've floated in silence, and I've floated with some ambient music provided by the float place (nature/running water/bird song, etc..) and I honestly can't imagine getting the benefit of floating with any sounds other than those.
    I'd agree - perhaps give a small selection of selected chill out and natural sounds (please no pan pipes though!)
    Last edited by deevey; 01-28-2016 at 04:17 PM.

Hi Thanks for the interest guys! For me yes its all about the sensory deprivation too, However I feel like having 5-10 minutes of ambient music to signal the start and end of float is a good idea and since It will require sound to do this I figured I might as well explore the option of making it a possibility for people to listen to music if they so wished. Saying that from what I've read some are of the opinion to have people bring their own waterproof headphones instead. This way the "plug your sounds" in dosnt become a further distraction, if someone has their heart set on it then they can bring their own headphones, Or i could sell them??? In any case I feel its important to put a little time into these ideas to explore, the best thing that can happen is the realisation that you don't need it.... less is more, be empty!
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.