How this remix thing works?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How this remix thing works?

Hey DJTT folks,

So I really want to get into the whole remix and production side of DJ'ing but I have some questions. How do you all out there go about it? What I'm particularly interested in is do you buy the track and then go from there or buy the intsrumental and the acapella etc? How do the artists on Beatport make money from remixes? Do they have to contact the artist that they want to remix and they get sent the different files from there or what?

Kudos.
    Kudos now Rhythicist.

Quote Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
    Do they have to contact the artist that they want to remix and they get sent the different files from there or what?
    It all depends. Sometimes producers will release instruments or acapellas which encourage remixing. I've never tried, but I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that most producers aren't going to send seeds from their tracks to everybody and their brother who wants to do a remix.

But I could be wrong.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Tech Mentor

Usually when a label wants some remixes for a new release they contact their own artists, and give them the material needed. Like voices, fx and so.

Sometimes the label calls someone famous like Trentemoller, Kruder & Dorfmeister etc because they like what that artist does.

Sometimes the label will try a new artist with a remix without paying for it, just to see what that guy can do. If they like it they will release it for sure.

If you want to get into the business you need some demo tracks, and then send that demo to all the labels with a similar style. They get hundreds of demos so be sure to NOT send a cd with your name written on it with a permanent marker. Print a nice cover with all you contact data (that is very important). Even better if you can print it over the cd itself. Anything that will make your cd stand out from the rest is a good idea.

Be sure to put the best material at the beginning. The label will only listen further if they like what they hear at the begining. And it will only listen to the whole tracks if they are really impressed.

It's not a bad idea to send only 1 minute of each track, the best part of the track, and specify on the cd if they want to hear the whole tracks to contact you at.... or go to http://www.yourwebsite.com

Oh and be patient... if you have never produced I wouldn't expect any serious result before one year of dedicated production work. Unless you're a genius...

Also, you'd be surprised at how many artists are HAPPY to give you a remix kit. It may not be their hit single, but I've gotten so many remix kits just from ASKING.
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Tech Wizard

so i just got an acapella of this hiphop song that I want to make an electro remix of. I'm currently using ableton live. I've tried to remix before but I always come out with some cheap sounding track so I never finish it. I just started to remix this song and I had an ok intro with a simple kick and so on. but then i cant get that electro/fidget sound going on when the main part of the song is supposed to come in. Im super noob guys so i dont get how to use all the effects to get me that big BOOM that you want from the bass and that heavy electro sound. Ive got tons of loops and i cant seem to find anything suitable. Im broke atm so no money to buy vsts and what not (dont mind torrenting though i know im a bad person) and even if i did get a good synth i wouldnt know how to find the right sound I want. Any tips? I really wanna make a simple electro song to get started
    http://soundcloud.com/djkj
    Macbook Pro - Traktor Pro - Vestax VCI100 SE - Maya 44 USB

You need to learn to crawl before you can run.

My guess is that you don't understand effects or how to build a new sound in a synth because you don't understand the science behind it. Fiddling around with knobs until something sounds good is only so useful and will only get you so far. If you don't know what an oscillator is and how it changes the audio, or how compression is different from an EQ or how an EQ is different from just volume adjustments to the appropriate instruments; if you don't understand these things than you may not use them to their best!

I suggest picking up a copy of the Sound Reinforcement Handbook. This book will teach you all the basics. There's a reason that most sound nerds call it 'The Bible.' And of course many of us keep a copy of it sitting on our desks!

After you start learning those basics, you might want to study a bit of music theory. Understanding 'counts' and 'beats' etc at a higher level will help your production immensely.

That 'fidget' sound has a lot to do with a few things.
    Gating (timed cuts on the audio)
    Chopping (timed re-arrangement of the audio)
    (these two things combined often form a 'stutter effect' similar to BTs original concept)
    strategic use of Pitch adjustments and definitely some Portamento.
    SideChaining.

But yah...I think it would be tough for us to just teach you how to make a fidget house track without teaching you some other basic concepts first.
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Tech Wizard

thanks for the reply! will surely do some reading on the topic then
    http://soundcloud.com/djkj
    Macbook Pro - Traktor Pro - Vestax VCI100 SE - Maya 44 USB

Tech Mentor

Thanks Monika, just ordered that book

thanks monika =D

It's true that more & more artists are happy to have their stuff remixed. And there are lots of remix contests nowadays, where you can get the parts and even win prizes for remixing.

Check out findremix.com or remixcomps.com for current contests, plus there are some remix kits for sale on Beatport (under DJ Tools category)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast