VCI-100 or Pioneer 100's
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default VCI-100 or Pioneer 100's

Hey, was planning to buy a vci-100 for christmas but saw some one selling some Pioneer 100's and a mixer on ebay for a good price and so now I am tossing between the two. Wondering what peoples advice is for someone like me starting out and which one do you think is better. I was leaning towards the vci-100 because I can connect it to my laptop and just play any song I like instead of burning cd's and having to play them in the cdj's. But then the Pioneers on the other hand might be better in the long run if I intend to upgrade to some better Pioneers and then having had that experience of using the 100's. Tell me what you think.

Thanks
    Will

i dont really know wat you expected posting that on this forum but ahh i think you'll find that pretty much everyone will say go the VCI. I dont know if you've had a look around the site much but you mighta noticed all the VCI talk lol

but anyway, welcome explore the site, get inspired and i think the decision will be easy
    fart.

i mean... they're pretty different things really.

obviously this is forum for controller heads so i would expect most peeps to say vci.

and i'd agree.

basically, laptop djing is the future. we can debate if it's 100% there yet and i still love cdjs for clubs etc... but i prefer my vci and digital djing is the future.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

You get a LOT more for the VCI than the CDJs and a mixer.

If they were 1000's and a DJM-800 for the cost of a VCI then we might have to have a different conversation
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

I'd say go with the CD decks to start out.

Once you've taught yourself a good, solid foundation in mixing with them, you'll slay on a digital rig.

Quote Originally Posted by PartyMcFly View Post
    I'd say go with the CD decks to start out.

Once you've taught yourself a good, solid foundation in mixing with them, you'll slay on a digital rig.
    why can't he learn mixing on a vci?

NB. i learnt on vinyl 15 years ago so i kind of know what your saying. But i wouldn't advice someone to buy tt in this day and age?
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Wizard

yeah, go with cdjs100 if you wish to buy better CD equipment later.
    + you will learn how to beatmatch properly with 100s, which you won't learn with vci..

Pioneer CDJ-100's are basically CDJ-500's, which I had a pair of, and neither feel anything like CDJ-1000's which are the standard

I also wouldn't because unlike CDJ-200's and CDJ-400's, CDJ-100's have larger increments on the pitch fader (can't remember the exact figures) so learning beatmatching will be more difficult than with better CDJ's anyway; nothing beats learning to beatmatch on vinyl imo but that's another topic!

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    If they were 1000's and a DJM-800 for the cost of a VCI then we might have to have a different conversation
    Agreed, another vote for the VCI-100
    MacBook, Vestax VCI-300 with Serato Itch
    www.djlantau.com | www.youtube.com/djlantau | www.soundcloud.com/djlantau

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by aout6 View Post
    yeah, go with cdjs100 if you wish to buy better CD equipment later.
    + you will learn how to beatmatch properly with 100s, which you won't learn with vci..
    I learned beatmatching on a vci....
    I had to because i had a club gig where i had to play on cdj1000. And everything went fineeeee, just missed all the stuff i could do with my vci...

I would be soooo bored with shitty cdj100's... first the only thing you can do is beatmatch (because they can't do anything) then even at beatmatching they are not the best...
    Last edited by osoner; 11-25-2009 at 11:24 AM.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

You can easily learn to beatmatch with a VCI-100, you just need to get more creative and use the jog wheels instead of the pitch faders.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast