Why are 95% of techno producers on Ableton?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why are 95% of techno producers on Ableton?

Something I've noticed over the years, that whenever I look at House, Techno/minimal production tutorial videos on YouTube & such, they're almost ALWAYS using Ableton...

But when searching for literally anything else, It's Logic Pro.

I'm a Logic Pro user myself, and techno is my thing, I'm just curious as to why the majority of techno heads use Ableton... Can anyone clarify anything on this?

I have wanted to get into Ableton, it looks nice, but of course changing/learning a new DAW isn't a walk in the park, so it'll take time.

Curious if there is anything in Ableton that techno/house producers benefit from
    Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

I don't know Logic Pro or its differences from The Abe, but loop triggering and sampling is a walk in the park with Ableton. And when something gets a reputation as being the DAW for a certain type of music, people start out using it because so and so uses it, then they get to know it as their DAW and don't want to switch.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Mentor

I use both. Ableton never looked fancy, but it is a very quick way to throw together a loop based production (which most Techno is). I usually find myself starting a track in Live and then bounce the stems to Logic because I never cared for Lives mastering (just my preference). I like the midi functionality of Logic too.
    The other weird thing Live has over Logic is the loops are perfect... Where for some strange reason, I would sometimes get a 4 bar loop in Logic that would be a touch shorter than 4 bars and I would spend endless time trying to get it to round up.

In the end, whatever gets your idea out the quickest is the riget tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyRome View Post
    I use both. Ableton never looked fancy, but it is a very quick way to throw together a loop based production (which most Techno is). I usually find myself starting a track in Live and then bounce the stems to Logic because I never cared for Lives mastering (just my preference). I like the midi functionality of Logic too.
    The other weird thing Live has over Logic is the loops are perfect... Where for some strange reason, I would sometimes get a 4 bar loop in Logic that would be a touch shorter than 4 bars and I would spend endless time trying to get it to round up.

In the end, whatever gets your idea out the quickest is the riget tool for the job.
    Ahhh, okay, I've heard that Ableton is good for loops, and hearing that loops are perfect in Ableton REALLY makes me happy because I have that same problem in Logic, I find loops are shorter or longer and spend time stretching them to fit etc, that's a major thing for me.

I've actually got some Ableton tutorials that I've been meaning to watch and read. So o think it may be time

Tech Mentor

I battled with that problem in Logic for a while. It would not happen all the time. It is just frustrating when you duplicate loops and then find it drifts over time because it is off by a hair on each one.
    Live is definitely better for that. Once you get the hang of the beat gridding you will be amazed how fast you can throw down an idea.

Give it a shot. It may work for you.

Loops are a big thing for me, and sampling, so if Ableton is a lot better for the too, its a big selling point for me. Plus, ableton has so much support, they're constantly updating it and adding new things, Max for Live, custom instruments, good community, AND, there is a lot of Ableton dedicated hardware... Push, Launchpad, M-audio do some, and other Novation products..

How do you go about beatgridding in Logic? I'm using Pro 9, but have LPX too

EDIT: I've been playing about with Flex on Logic, using the Slicing feature. Moved some transient markers of this drum loop I sampled to match in-line with the markers on a kick drum loop, made it sound much better and in time.

Thing is, nearly every loop I drop into logic is a bit under or over my 4 bar loop marker, so I'm always doing; Click on region > audio > timestretch region to locators.

Maybe I could send you the project (it's just literally 4 drum audio tracks, and you can have a look/listen and see if you think it's all in place
    Last edited by Superfreak; 02-21-2016 at 05:29 PM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    Something I've noticed over the years, that whenever I look at House, Techno/minimal production tutorial videos on YouTube & such, they're almost ALWAYS using Ableton...

But when searching for literally anything else, It's Logic Pro.

I'm a Logic Pro user myself, and techno is my thing, I'm just curious as to why the majority of techno heads use Ableton... Can anyone clarify anything on this?

I have wanted to get into Ableton, it looks nice, but of course changing/learning a new DAW isn't a walk in the park, so it'll take time.

Curious if there is anything in Ableton that techno/house producers benefit from
    Youve just made up that 95% number in your head so lets not go too far into thinking this is correct.

Lots of techno producers use hardware as well. Some use FL Studio, some use Reason.

In my opinion, Ableton is the easiest DAW out there for learning on.

You can get up and running in Ableton Live in no time.

BUT, the beauty of it, is that it is more complex than you can ever imagine when you are starting out. It allows you to hit the ground running in no time at all, then learn all of the complexities at your own pace - you'll learn a little bit here, and a little bit there, as you continue working with the basics.

Pretty soon, you've ACCIDENTALLY learned the complexities of Live. I love it. It lures you in with its simplicity, and holds on to you with it's complexity!

I love the built in effects and instruments. The common look and feel make it so much easier to absorb brand new information. Since you are already familiar with Lives layout and look and feel, the new information (when you pick up Operator, for example) is more easily recognised.

For me, that was one of the problems with VSTi's - they've all got lovely shiny GUI's, but it distracts you from the actual functionality of the instrument. Now - once you've learned the built-in instruments in Live, and you're familiar with the actual functionality (of a soft synth, for example), you've got the knowledge to be able to use the VSTi's and really know what you are doing with them.

But I'm pretty thick - so I ned that common look and feel to help me learn...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    Youve just made up that 95% number in your head so lets not go too far into thinking this is correct.

Lots of techno producers use hardware as well. Some use FL Studio, some use Reason.
    Actually no, I'm not jus making up a %, I'm basing it on every tutorial site I've been on, YouTube tutorials, Instagram searches, and so on...

It's all Ableton techno. Logic Pro seems to have more Rock, Hip Hop, and EDM.

Searching "techno production tutorials" in YT doesn't give a lot for Logic, where as if you change Logic to "ableton", there are LOADS.

Tech Mentor

My solution for the off timed loops in Logic is to just do that type of project in Live

The other thing you may want to try if you don't want to switch is to make longer loops. For some reason, 8 bar loops work better. Still frustrating as I end up using Live because I just generate the ideas faster.

Agreed with Patch... live isn't as pretty when looking at the Plug ins, but that keeps from the distraction lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast