My Novation Bass Station only coming out 1 monitor (cables question)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My Novation Bass Station only coming out 1 monitor (cables question)

I have a Scarlett Focusrite 18i6 interface, and I plug my Novation Bass Station 2 (BSII) into it via a TRS cable, out of the BSII's Analogue Mono Line Output, and into one of the 6 Line Inputs on the 18i6. (I'm using Line Input 3 for the BSII).

Now, sound only comes out of one speaker, the left speaker, and when i plug the BSII into another Line Input of the interface, say Line Input 4, instead of 3, it plays out the right speaker... And os on, left and right, for input 4, and input 5.

http://imgur.com/5X2QCdl (interface)

Why is this? When i play and record it within Logic, it plays out of both speakers....

Do I need to get a different cable to what im using? Maybe a Single TRS to dual TRS? I just thought because the BSII just has the one output slot, i only needed to plug it into ONE Input slot on my interface..?

http://imgur.com/I7BcW8Q (BSII)

Can someone tell me what cable I need to make this right, or, is it okay to keep it how i have it, as long as its playing out of two speakers when im playing & recording it into Logic?

The manual says the Line Output (MONO) is unbalanced, I've been using a balanced cable, TRS, don't know how good or bad that is but at the same time, the 6 line inputs on rear of interface are balanced...

Do I need an un-balanced Mono TS cable to Stereo TS, or to Dual Mono TS!? Maybe this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/HosaTech-CPP...ono+jack+cable
    Last edited by Superfreak; 02-24-2016 at 03:06 PM.
    Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

Tech Mentor

All of your gear is working correctly. The Bass Station runs in MONO, meaning only one side (left OR right). So when plugging the BS into your interface you are only going to hear it out of one side because your inputs sound like they are in stereo pairs. The reason it comes out of both speakers in Logic is because in Logic it is running out of a mono channel, not a stereo one like the inputs on your interface. You may want to check the manual for you interface to see if the inputs can be changed to mono, or if there are specific inputs on the interface that can be ran as mono.

Right, opened up Scarlett Mix control, and the Bass Station is centred.... http://imgur.com/e6QNhSx
    So I'm not sure why it;s only playing out of 1 monitor.

I'm guessing the interface inputs are stereo pairs, so that's why it plays out of left speaker in 3 of the inputs, and the right on the other 3..

As long as it's not a bad/glitch thing, I'm okay with it.. It plays out of both monitors when in Logic.

I'm just making sure that I'm not loosing the MONO sound or creating any audio issues
    Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

Maybe try using one of the combo inputs on the front panel instead of those stereo pairs on the back.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Yeah you want to be monitoring what comes out of the bass station VIA a logic channel really, not what the sound card is directly monitoring if that makes sense..

Defo want a mono to mono TRS Cable for sure tho.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    Yeah you want to be monitoring what comes out of the bass station VIA a logic channel really, not what the sound card is directly monitoring if that makes sense..

Defo want a mono to mono TRS Cable for sure tho.
    I will use it inside of logic mainly. Just have a little play with it on its own sometimes.

I've managed to get it out of both monitors now. In Scarlett mix control software, changed the channel it is plugged into from mono to stereo, but I'll keep it as mono as that's what it is supposed to be.

I'm not sure what cable I've got, I just know it's TRS... How can I tell if the one I have is mono or stereo? So I don't have to go and order a new cable

Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    Maybe try using one of the combo inputs on the front panel instead of those stereo pairs on the back.
    Tried that. Still played out of one speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    In Scarlett mix control software, changed the channel it is plugged into from mono to stereo, but I'll keep it as mono as that's what it is supposed to be.
    I think that's fine to change the software to stereo... that makes it come out of both channels so that's right.

To be honest most single TRS cables are mono so i'd be surprised if it's stereo. you normally only get stereo TRS on a phono adapter or headphone adapters.

Normally a stereo TRS will have two black rings and a mono only one like this

TRScable.jpg
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    I think that's fine to change the software to stereo... that makes it come out of both channels so that's right.

To be honest most single TRS cables are mono so i'd be surprised if it's stereo. you normally only get stereo TRS on a phono adapter or headphone adapters.

Normally a stereo TRS will have two black rings and a mono only one like this

TRScable.jpg
    Well it just makes me think, changing an input ok my soundcard to Stereo, for a Mono instrument, it doesn't seem right? Or am I literally only changing that it's coming out of two monitors? It's still a pure Mono signal coming from my BSII and out my speakers?

My TRS cable I'm using for my BSII has two black rings.. A thick one at the top and then a thiner one below... So that's a stereo cable? I need one with just 1 black ring?

I can't even find a Mono TRS to mono TRS cable...

Am I looking for the wrong thing?

Is this what I need? Stereo TRS to dual Mono TRS VisioSound 1 x Stereo TRS Jack to 2 x Mono Jack - Insert Cable / Y Lead 0.3m https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VS0PJ..._SK40wb78CB3J7

I'm a bit of a noob, forgive me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast