Bought DJM 900NXS Yesterday..Mistake?

Default Bought DJM 900NXS Yesterday..Mistake?

Hi Guys,

First post here. Just need some advice. I mainly use Traktor and wanted to spend some money on a setup. So I got 2 Traktor Kontrol X1 MK2's and a Pioneer DJM 900NXS. It works perfect. But a part of me tells me that I should have invested in a Kontrol S8? Am I right to feel that way? What would you do? Appreciate any input!

Tech Guru

No, although it is a fairly big investment for a beginner, you did right IMO if you plan to be a club DJ. Actually that is very close to my own home setup in a near future.

You have chosen to be a modular DJ, which is the type of DJ that I am. You will train on the same equipment that you will find in clubs, so you won't need to bring most of the volume and weight of it, it's already there.

Maybe it's a good idea to buy an Audio 8 or Audio 10 interface, so you can use mixers that do not have built in soundcards when at clubs. (I am assuming you use 4 decks because you said you bought 2 X1's, if you use 2 decks an Audio 4 or Audio 6 is enough).

So congratulations, you did right.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

This is my set up but I also use an F1 and a Push. You made the right choice.

No great choice, you have the best of both worlds.
    Latest mix

There’s also an almost hermetic community that exists in many areas of dance music, where serious hobbyists feed off each other’s expertise but barely connect to the industry – despite many of those involved actually working in it.

It was only a mistake if you can't afford it.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Oh, i'd take that set up over an S8 any day of the week.

I love my DJM 900, I use one X1 and 2x1200s for vinyl / traktor scratch control. It's a bonus it's scratch certified too for sure.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

mixer + 2x x1's sounds cool to me. certainly wouldnt switch that for an S8. mixer+d2's maybe.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Thank you very much for the replies fellas. I will definitely be keeping this setup!