The mental game
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The mental game

Default The mental game

Hey all,
    been a while since i've posted and i must say that djtt has grown huge since my first post. Big ups to Ean and the crew for going strong!

anyways, i was wondering what tips anyone could share to get over anxiety. It's not so much a problem for me on larger stages, but in intimate lounge settings, i start to second guess my actions as I'm doing them. Is it just me or are the smaller gigs more nerve wracking than playing a massive?! Is there any advice for keeping your head together and keeping the train running smooth? Any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks much!
    facebook.com/fkdmusic
    soundcloud.com/fkdmusic
    lethaltalent.com

Tribal Rites feat Kate Lesing on Soundcloud.

Tech Guru

think of every time someone has come up to you and said, I really liked your set, and meant it. think about the time and effort you put into this, that shit goes somewhere.
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

Tech Wizard

I wouldnt say "Everyone"!

These are the shows i do all the time. the best thing to think about is how much easier it is to figure out what they want to hear and if hardly anybody shows up you get to play what ever you feel like for a change.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Being almost all the gigs I have are smaller, more intimate gigs, I completely understand.

But just lose yourself in it. The advantage of the smaller gigs is you are more noticeable and what you're doing can really be seen and experienced. The disadvantage is, well, the same thing.

It's harder to keep 6-20 people dancing than 200. The energy is completely different. But you need to do the whole self-realization thing. "I'm a great DJ, I can rock this room, and gosh darnit, people will dance."

Think about it this way. If you kill a small dance floor it's a LOT easier to get them back than if you kill a dance floor of 1000 people. Then again, if you kill a dance floor of 1000 you really did something wrong
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DJBanyon View Post
    I wouldnt say "Everyone"!

These are the shows i do all the time. the best thing to think about is how much easier it is to figure out what they want to hear and if hardly anybody shows up you get to play what ever you feel like for a change.
    unless you already play whatever you feel like
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

Quote Originally Posted by Damien1138 View Post
    to get over anxiety.
    Hey man, thats what Xanax is chemically made for, just don't get hooked.
    (everyone thinks they could use, but only do if its real bad)
    Im not a doctor but once a pharmaceutical connoisseur..

oh & you "can't" drink on it

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    It's harder to keep 6-20 people dancing than 200. The energy is completely different. But you need to do the whole self-realization thing. "I'm a great DJ, I can rock this room, and gosh darnit, people will dance."

Think about it this way. If you kill a small dance floor it's a LOT easier to get them back than if you kill a dance floor of 1000 people. Then again, if you kill a dance floor of 1000 you really did something wrong
    So true... my easiest and most successful gig was with 3000 people... otoh a 30 people dance floor is quite tricky...

I think the problem is starting. After a few records the anxiety is usually over and confidence is back. So if you know in advance where you're going to play you know what kind of music they play there and can prepare a 3-4 tracks routine so you can get used to the sound of the booth and the feeling of being in a new place. Then just rock the party!

I just try to work it around.

I need to have that anxiety to perform. If this isn't there, it will not be able to provide me the edge I need to have to perform well.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by josh@firestorm View Post
    picture everyone naked?
    Surely the job of the DJ is to figure out the sequence of track to play so that everyone ends up naked by the end?

Dammit, it has to be possible!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast