Holding a party in a few months, and need some equipment advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Holding a party in a few months, and need some equipment advice

I have planned a party for in a few months time, and I was just wondering if you guys could help me out.

The venue has some equipment, but it looks like I'll need to get hold of some more stuff:

• DJ Monitors
    • Solid mixer
    • Recent CDJS
    • Lighting (possibly)

Could anyone give me some advice on what monitors I might need? I am thinking of renting out all of the stuff, but just need a push in the right direction.

monitors depends on the main sound system, mixer and cjds in the nexus line, most common used..
    Allen & Heath DB4, Xone K2, 2x Native instrument D2
    Soundcloud
    Mixcloud

Quote Originally Posted by ragverp View Post
    monitors depends on the main sound system, mixer and cjds in the nexus line, most common used..
    Apparently the speakers are "Fane, Ohm and Precision Device Speakers"

That's a direct quote!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by MalcolmDeXXX View Post

That's a direct quote!
    honestly, it doesnt matter. as long as the dj can hear them over the main system.
    many djs dont even use them tbh, but they are nice to have.

Tech Convert

if you MUST get them, and a specific type isnt specified, just get some 5 inch KRKs, they are pretty much the go to generic dj monitor and will be more than enough.

Just go to your nearest DJ rental store and rent 2 powered monitors probably with a 10" and a top end in it and connect them to your monitor input on your mixer and your good to go. As for cdjs and mixer go with the nexus line.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MalcolmDeXXX View Post
    Could anyone give me some advice on what monitors I might need? I am thinking of renting out all of the stuff, but just need a push in the right direction.
    Personally, I'd use headphones and skip the monitors. Using monitors in a "new to you" room requires a bit of practice. It does not sound like you will have an opportunity to do that. Headphones are a viable alternative, and $$$ you will not have to spend renting gear.

You did not describe the amount of space in the DJ booth at this venue. I would have some generic concerns about the amount of space to put monitors in the booth, and the flexibility to position them at head height for the different DJs. Based on your understanding of the space available, that may or may not be a concern.

In terms of mixer & CDJs, check with the different local rental houses to determine availability. Subject to cost, you may want to rent the setup for several extra days to practice with at home ahead of the event.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Convert

I'd argue that in the booth, you really have no need for a 10 inch sub at all, your gonna get plenty of low end drowning it out from the main system, the monitors are arguably only useful for hearing the main mix without having to hear it reflected off the room before it gets back to you. With all of the ambient noise and (hopefully powerful) low end of the main system, a booth sub is just unnecessary, plus your ears are going to take enough of a pounding without adding to it.

Quote Originally Posted by 888noxxi View Post
    if you MUST get them, and a specific type isnt specified, just get some 5 inch KRKs, they are pretty much the go to generic dj monitor and will be more than enough.
    Those are studio monitors. Will only work for small parties. But useless if the main system is powerful.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Is that from the Sound Engineer or the Manager ? You need to talk to the sound engineer or their installers unless its a really shitty sound system that is mostly used for background music someone will be maintaining it, and can get you details.

I'd give a few rental shops a call after the venue (again), most likely a few already know the venue and whats going to be needed to put out some decent sound, lighting, DJ gear etc.

Monitors will be the least of your worries if the rest of the rig sounds like dog turd - I've had friends turn up at venues where there was no tweeters left in any of the House Speakers !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast