New to scene - need some advice!
    Tech Convert

Default New to scene - need some advice!

Hi all. Been looking into mixing for ages but only finally really decided to kick myself into getting a setup. I'm currently just looking for an all-in-one dj controller like the xponent or something similar for me to practice on. Would the xponent be my best bet? Looking to mix electro, hard dance, dubstep and drum and bass really! What's the easiest to start with? I notice if you look about you can pick one up for close to 200 quid. Also, what's the best program to use to get started with?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated!

Hey mate,

If ur looking at mixing electro and things like that i would say your best bet is grabbing a vci 100SE or arcade.. there great to use with traktor and best of all is that theres a whole community that has the same setup that can help you learn tips an tricks..

this is the reason i got one

also check out the for sale forum and u might be able to grab a bargin!

Tech Convert

Cheers mate just looked at some videos on youtube of the Vestax VCI-100 and it looks great! Exactly what i'm after what can I expect to pay for one second hand? I'm assuming around the £200 mark? I've got my eye out!

You'd be lucky to pick up a second hand vci for £200 I reckon
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Mentor

I've actually got a Hercules RMX I'm looking to rid myself of. It works perfectly, I've got all the documentation it came with, and I even have the carry case still. It's a great starting option, in my opinion. (well, obviously. I bought one)

Reason I'm looking to sell it is that I recently got my hands on a Xone:3D. PM me if you're interested.

Other than the RMX, though, the VCI would be a good option if you think you're serious about mixing, as it'll last you a good long while if you want it to, and you would of course get all the tips, help, and support of these forums. (not that we wouldn't help you if you didn't get the 100, but more people would be able to give you more specific advice)

Other good options to look at would be the Xone 1 or 2D's, the hercules steel controller, or the Behringer BCD3000 or BCD 2000
    Last edited by Segfault; 11-24-2009 at 07:27 PM.
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

Tech Convert

Cheers for the heads up bud. Think you're probably right though about sticking out for a VCI - really like the look of it and looks like a great starting point. Cheers for the offer though!

Going to keep my eyes open and try and pick one up for under the 300 mark. There's a lad selling one just down the road from me so just gotta wait and hear back from him.

good luck i started with a BCD 3000 not so great always use to crash my pc etc.. but hope u get ur vci 100 soon

You could go for something quite entry level but you will kick your self in a few months when your skills demand for something more, such as the VCI.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "