f1 or midi fighter for fx?

Default f1 or midi fighter for fx?

So I'm buying a controller for the sole purpose of controlling fx alongside my kontrol s4

I see tekkens mapping for an f1 as a viable contender and I'm also leaning towards a midi fighter twister with the new fx mapping

Both look great but can anyone please help make this decision easier for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekkstroyer View Post
    So I'm buying a controller for the sole purpose of controlling fx alongside my kontrol s4

I see tekkens mapping for an f1 as a viable contender and I'm also leaning towards a midi fighter twister with the new fx mapping

Both look great but can anyone please help make this decision easier for me.
    One thing to consider with the F1 is the remix decks and STEMS control that's already built into it. You can switch the profile(from native to custom in the prefs) of the controller if memory serves and bounce between using it for FX and it's native format.
    Last edited by thepiercedweirdo; 03-21-2016 at 05:50 PM.

Tech Wizard

Both are great pieces of kit.

As to the twister, I cant say I love the idea of controlling FX with dual encoders/buttons, but that might not bother some, and having an encoder per button to tweak FX values is nice. You could also do some pretty cool stuff by applying the built in sequencer to an effect in Traktor.

The F1 used for FX is more a traditional grid controller. I prefer to map a series of FX values over a row in the grid, so it works better for me than I think a Twister would. Also having a MIDI mappable 7 segment display is pretty nice.

F1's are also cheaper and easier to find used than a Midi Fighter, and they have those nifty metal stand/case things that bring them up to mixer/CDJ height.

That said, If you don't have a step sequencer on hand its a great thing to have. I picked up a Beatstep Pro when they came out, so no need for that in my rig, but if you don't have something similar, The Twister may be worth it for that alone.
    Last edited by elmooso; 03-20-2016 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elmooso View Post
    Both are great pieces of kit.

Buttons on the Midi fighter are more responsive and it has motion controls, but the F1 has sliders, knobs, and midi mappable 7 segment displays.

Personally I use an F1. Cheaper than a Midi Fighter, and they have those nifty metal stand/case things that bring them up to mixer/CDJ height.

I like the f1 be a use I feel like I would get more control over the amounts of fx I apply with the sliders and knobs when used in conjunction

With the twister I'm not sure if you can set d/w and move those parameters around on the fly

Tech Wizard

I've got a MF3D and an F1 and both are quality. If I could have only one I'd probably go for the F1 as for prepping and using remix decks there is nothing quite as good. That said, the MF3D is currently in my live rig and the F1 stays home and gets used for prep tasks only - the MF is just nicer to use and takes up less space in the bag.

Not tried the twister yet sorry.

Tech Mentor

All are pretty good, I own the F1, MF3D and a Twister.

If I could only have one i'd choose the F1, it has the most control to play wth, 4 knobs and faders in addition to just buttons.

Tech Mentor elohyspoissonpilote's Avatar

Both are great. Actually I use a F1 because I use it also for remix decks, freeze mode or stems controls

==> FX control

==> Freeze mode