What method MIK "Energy" tag or BPM is better to choose Warmup or Main Song.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What method MIK "Energy" tag or BPM is better to choose Warmup or Main Song.

Q. Which method will produce the best choice of selecting song for warm/cold down or main, MixedInKey "energy" tag or by BPM.

I have one of my first Gig which will be outside of doing some thing for friends or family members. I really find building playlist kind of hard because I can never feel sure if I'm picking the right tune for the moment. I normally go by what I see people is feeling at the moment. For this particular Gig there will be at least 2 or 3 hours in which I have to play kind of back ground music, and then later on play for social dancing. The gig is mainly for latin people just in case this will help some one give me some tips.

Hi,
    i suggest you to rate your Songs ( from 1 to 5 stars ) to describe the amount of energy for each Song. 1 star means warmup , 5 stars means Fire, mid-range energy 3 Stars , and so on... i don't use this méthode , but it will work well in my opinion.
    personally , i go by track rating, comments and the knowledge of my collection.
    good luck.

Edit : and yea , don't trust MIK , use your feeling.
    Reloop RMX 40 BPM ( bae ) ; 2 x CDJ 800 mk1 ; Traktor Kontrol X1 ; Traktor Kontrol F1 ; AKAI MPK mini MK2 ; M audio Axiom 61 mk2.
    Genre : Dark techno , Dub techno , industrial , Experimental , Music.
    Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/choch1

Tech Guru

You should use your musical knowledge and taste.

BPM, genre, and key are largely irrelevant for open format gigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ls4life View Post
    Q. Which method will produce the best choice of selecting song for warm/cold down or main, MixedInKey "energy" tag or by BPM.

I have one of my first Gig which will be outside of doing some thing for friends or family members. I really find building playlist kind of hard because I can never feel sure if I'm picking the right tune for the moment. I normally go by what I see people is feeling at the moment. For this particular Gig there will be at least 2 or 3 hours in which I have to play kind of back ground music, and then later on play for social dancing. The gig is mainly for latin people just in case this will help some one give me some tips.
    this is how you learn...take the gig...do it and report back...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Thank for the help, I look forward to make hopefully good things happen. I'll come back with the report.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Choch View Post
    Hi,
    i suggest you to rate your Songs ( from 1 to 5 stars ) to describe the amount of energy for each Song. 1 star means warmup , 5 stars means Fire, mid-range energy 3 Stars , and so on... i don't use this méthode , but it will work well in my opinion.
    personally , i go by track rating, comments and the knowledge of my collection.
    good luck.

Edit : and yea , don't trust MIK , use your feeling.
    Completely agree with energy part, completely disagree with MIK part.

For me it's trust MIK 100% , cus it's pretty damn good at recognizing keys and some people (me included) are very sensible to wrong keys being played together.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

Quote Originally Posted by Daniboy View Post
    Completely agree with energy part, completely disagree with MIK part.

For me it's trust MIK 100% , cus it's pretty damn good at recognizing keys and some people (me included) are very sensible to wrong keys being played together.
    terrible advice...

"if its not in key I cant mix it!!!"

the software says so...
    Last edited by keithace; 03-24-2016 at 04:53 PM.

I use energy tags to indicate where in a night/set I THINK I would be likely play it, I only use it as a rough indication tho and don't base my track selection on it in a rigid manner

All of these methods are valid, but don't forget the quality control mate, the ol' ears
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast