Upgrade my DJ Equipment - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Here is a link describing the basic differences between the file formats:

https://support.beatport.com/hc/en-u...nd-AIFF-files-

MaxOne makes a good point regarding upgrades if you're concerned about format quality. I do not produce and I'm anything but a professional professional DJ. The iTunes downloads are more than adequate for me ... even for when I do get the occasional public gig. If DJing was going to be a career or supplemental income, I would definitely be converting my set list into WAV format once that booking / gig approached.

Tech Convert

Thank you CB75. I don't think at this point in time I need to go for WAV files, just an extra expense and a use of storage space.
    I am a bedroom DJ and the moment that posts sets online, and trying to get some air time on radio shows and at the same time aiming to push myself out of the bedroom and land me some gigs at clubs and bars this year.

I am still lost between AIFF vs MP3 (and beatport vs itunes for mp3) as i heard they are all different sizes and quality and I'd rather just stick to one format. Keeping what i said in mind, what would you do?

DJing will not be a career but i would definitely hope to be able to play at clubs and bars and i don't want to have to go through this tedious exercise again where i need to clean up my library etc.

One thing that would be very important is the ability to tag my music (seeing as i use mixed in key and write comments in recordbox etc).

Tech Convert

By the way, if any of you are interested in hearing my music.

mixcloud: _moyo_

MP3 is a lossy codec, meaning audio encoded in it is stripped of extraneous information to reduce its file size. Bit and sampling rate determine how much information is thrown out; a higher bitrate means less information is removed and the audio is therefore a higher quality.

But MP3 320s (and similarly iTunes 256s) are not going to mean any real difference in a club situation to WAV/AIFF but have lower cost and much smaller realestate needs.

WAV is for lossless or uncompressed audio, meaning it contains a lot of audio information — and potentially audio quality — but results in a bigger file size.

Which is better? It depends on what the audio is being used for. Since MP3 is optimized for file size, it's good for general purpose listening and most club situations. WAV and other lossless formats are best suited for audio recording and archival.
    MBP, 15.4", Ableton Live 8 Suite, Novation Remote SL, Pioneer XDJ-RX, Traktor, VCI 100SE!

"I am still lost between AIFF vs MP3 (and beatport vs itunes for mp3) as i heard they are all different sizes and quality and I'd rather just stick to one format. Keeping what i said in mind, what would you do?"

I typically look for all my music on Beatport first and put anything I think I may want in my Hold Bin. Since tracks on iTunes and Amazon are released on average 2-4 weeks later, I'll periodically check back and see if they're available on either of those sites and purchase if they are (some labels I like are only on Beatport and I seemingly spend a fortune on those eliminating any guilt switching to iTunes for the rest). I'm like you in that I want everything in the same format. On iTunes, the music comes in AIFF format. Since I primarily use MP3(s) I'll reformat my iTunes downloads to MP3 before moving them to Traktor. For some reason on my computer or on Traktor, I've had issues with AIFF formatted tracks. I accidentally discovered if I change them to MP3 in iTunes before importing them, I never have issues. For my sound system at home and the few times I play out, the MP3(s) sound fantastic.

By the way, I'll definitely check out your MIXCLOUD. Good luck
    Last edited by CB75; 04-15-2016 at 09:56 AM.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2 / Traktor Audio 10 / Pioneer DJM 700 / Technics SL-1200 M3D / Ortofon Concorde Pro / Sicmats / Traktor Kontrol X1 mk2 / Traktor Kontrol F1 / Maschine Mikro MK2 / Roland TR-8 / Korg Volca Bass / Sony MDR-V700 / Dell Inspiron (Windows 8) / Chroma Caps / Tanqueray Gin

it doesn't matter that much about mixing up formats any way... i got some mp3s and some AIFFs and some WAVs...

If you can afford lossless and don't have an issue with space, get AIFF

If you have an issue with budget and / or HD space get mp3...

You're probably over thinking it tbh
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12