Pioneer CDJ 1000 MK3 with Serato?

Default Pioneer CDJ 1000 MK3 with Serato?

Hi guys, I'm kind of a newbie so bare with me!

I am looking to upgrade my equipment. I have been using Traktor Pro with the S2 for a year and some change and want to make the switch to CDJ's being the industry standard and all.

I have a really good deal atm, a friend of a friend is selling me Pioneer CDJ 1000 MK3's within my budget but I am confused about whether I can use this with SeratoDJ?

I want to be able to use CD's but I also want to be able to hook it up to my laptop and use it Serato.

So my question is, is this possible? I know I will have to get timecoded CD's but can I use SeratoDJ with them or is it only SSL? Am I better off getting another model?

(Might be worth adding that these will only be used at home. I just want a good bedroom setup so that I'll be able to play out and be comfortable on the club's gear.)

I'd reallt appreciate your answers

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Moved to Serato sub-forum

Tech Convert

You'd just need a Rane SL2 or a Denon DS1. Those would both work with Serato DJ for the foreseeable future. Stay away from the old Rane SL1's as those are no longer supported by Serato DJ, only SSL. Which it seems like you're wanting to avoid.

In your case, since it sounds like you wouldn't be interested in taking the box to a show, I'd say go with the Denon.

Info: http://www.denondj.com/products/view/ds1

Thanks for that!

Seeing as Denon DS1 is roughly £300 that I'd have to fork out on top, do you think it might be wiser to save up a little more and get the CDJ-850 or CDJ-900's. Am I right in saying that with those you can use USB and seratodj in HID mode?

I want to familiarise

Quote Originally Posted by Titan721 View Post
    You'd just need a Rane SL2 or a Denon DS1. Those would both work with Serato DJ for the foreseeable future. Stay away from the old Rane SL1's as those are no longer supported by Serato DJ, only SSL. Which it seems like you're wanting to avoid.

In your case, since it sounds like you wouldn't be interested in taking the box to a show, I'd say go with the Denon.

Info: http://www.denondj.com/products/view/ds1

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by sheisjei View Post
    So my question is, is this possible? I know I will have to get timecoded CD's but can I use SeratoDJ with them or is it only SSL? Am I better off getting another model?
    Timecode works the same with both SSL and SDJ so no worries there.

I'd still need the Rane SL2 though right?

Would it make more sense for me to get the 850s or 900s where I wouldn't need to buy the interface?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by peedot View Post
    Timecode works the same with both SSL and SDJ so no worries there.

Tech Wizard

If you pick up a SL1 you will have to use scratch live. The SL2,3,4 and the new denon box all will run serato DJ as well. There are no CDJs that can serato without a soundcard with in the mixer or a seperate SL box.

Quote Originally Posted by myndgruv View Post
    If you pick up a SL1 you will have to use scratch live. The SL2,3,4 and the new denon box all will run serato DJ as well. There are no CDJs that can serato without a soundcard with in the mixer or a seperate SL box.
    To activate Serato's full two track mode, you're going to either need a Serator certified Mixer, Controller, or Soundcard. Accessories (which is where CDJ 850s and 900s fall under) won't activate Serato properly. With You'll still have to at v ery least have the SL2, 3, 4 or DS1 hooked up via USB, even if you want to use the CDJs via HID mode.

Also if you get 900s, make sure you get 900 Nexuses, becuase the old 900s only work in SSL.

For more info on Serato and HID mode read this DJTT article: http://djtechtools.com/2015/03/05/us...jscratch-live/

Default CDJ1000 vs 2000/900/xdjs

Quote Originally Posted by sheisjei View Post
    Hi guys, I'm kind of a newbie so bare with me!

I am looking to upgrade my equipment. I have been using Traktor Pro with the S2 for a year and some change and want to make the switch to CDJ's being the industry standard and all.

I have a really good deal atm, a friend of a friend is selling me Pioneer CDJ 1000 MK3's within my budget but I am confused about whether I can use this with SeratoDJ?

I want to be able to use CD's but I also want to be able to hook it up to my laptop and use it Serato.

(Might be worth adding that these will only be used at home. I just want a good bedroom setup so that I'll be able to play out and be comfortable on the club's gear.)

I'd reallt appreciate your answers

I had a CDJ1000mk3 and I actually liked it a little more than the newer Nexus models(900nxs or 2000nxs or xdj1000s). Yea it you don't get HID mode with the 1000s but the responsiveness you get from the platter on the 1000 is better than newer cdjs(you gotta press hard to get the song to scratch vs vinyl where you gotta be light handed. You need a Serato sound card whether it be from a built in mixer or an external one like the Denon DS1 or Rane SL2/3/4 like everyone else said but CDJs are meant for Rekordbox and lag when you use them in HID with Serato. To summarize, you don't need to spend the 1000+ dollars on a 900nxs to get HID, HID isn't really ideal. Stick with your CDJ1000mk3s and get that Serato sound card or traktor if you're into that. You could get a Z2 mixer and a Seratobox that way you get midi too(just search midi map seratodj z2 mixer on google). You can find a used Z2 for like 300$ if you dig. There may be one in the bStock on DJTT as well.