The Drum & Bass Thread (formally Drum 'n' Bass is dead?)
Page 1 of 223 123451151101 ... LastLast

Default The Drum & Bass Thread (formally Drum 'n' Bass is dead?)

Every now and than, a musical genres foremost poet or pioneer will come forth claiming the style is dead.

We've already seen it in punk, hip hop, metal, rock and opera already.

Stupidest thing even, that this seems to be some kind of "retro- cycle" that passes along every decade.

With the coming of styles like dubstep amongst others, purists are really keen on claiming that these styles are no derative or subgenre of our beloved DnB.
    Better yet, they utter the words "DnB is dead!"

If your own creative impulses can't cope with a style any longer, why claim it is dead in the first place? Couldn't it just evolve into other (sub)styles?
    No, kill your idols instead!
    There seems to be no better way to start something new, than completely destroy any relations with the past.

How can a genre with high BPM rates be dead, while comparing it to the ever so low BPM rates of the ever so vivid dubstep?
    Ofcourse, BPM rates are not a factor in this case, but people listening and enjoying DnB are.
    There are still heaps and heaps of bass-heads still jumping their shoes to the sounds of d&b pioneers as Krush, Bukem, Dom & Roland and all others still producing.

Agreed that the old spirit needs to be revived. Still, it's no reason to don the old lass after that much joy she has given us.

Drum and Bass is dead? It seems ever so vibrant as it was in 1996!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

Hasn't Dubstep been dead for about 6 months now?

Isn't everything dead? LoLz.

You tell me. I can't keep up with it anymore.
    Looking @my local scene, it seems that dubstep is still the thing to beat?
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

Dead or not i'm still mixing it, however this does sound familiar to what we have heard in the past, then just when you think its down its right back up there again.

I know where i live drum and bass is anything but dead thats for sure.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I have to put up with this argument all the time with the goth/industrial scene. "Nothing good has come out since 1995" and "Nothing good has come out since 2002" and "It's all just bad techno with some fat guy singing over it"

As far as I am concerned, every scene is in a perpetual state of death. Even as it is rising and becoming awesome, it is still just close to the brink of failure.

It dying ain't gonna stop me from caring. And when I show up to a club and spin to myself (again) for the whole night maybe I'll consider moving over to techno
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

From the day we are born, we are all dying. Maybe the same applies to music.

But it is a sad state for DnB in the area that I live. I started as a DnB DJ back in 97 in NJ. There were only a few nightspots that were DnB centric. Philly had a club that was promoted by 611 Records and impossible to get a guest spot DJing unless you were part of 611 and NYC had the Konkrete Jungle, also impossible to break out into. my only outlet were raves and coffee shops Because of the fricken lawyers in the country, rave is completely dead.
    Eventually I had to evolve to Techno and Tech House, and then to Electro (where I can here the old familiar dark and dirty basslines I oh so loved from DnB). The only time I here DnB here now are in car commercials. It's sad. "If you really want to rock the funky beats, the funky beats, the funky beats, beats, rock the funky beats. ..."

well this sucks cause i was just now getting into drum and bass i just heard a dnb dj this saturday who was bad ass.

i am gonna keep listening to it who cares

We can still rock the dnb here on DJTT guys :P Im up for listening to anyones dnb sets.

Will post one of my older D&B b2b sets later on.

oOooooOooooOOhhh! Dn'B is So ALIVE and KICKING.... I think the ones that say Dn'B is dead are the ones that are slow to catch onto the evolving sounds - they'll catch on sooner or later.... MuAHahaha *evil laugh* >;D

btw.... try telling DNB is dead, on the DrumandBassArena.com forum.... :P

I <3 DnB

Page 1 of 223 123451151101 ... LastLast