Just a rant
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just a rant

Tech Convert

Default Just a rant

So the other day, I was talking to a friend about music since he was a producer himself. We started talking about music production and he went off saying about how old school synths and stuff were better than modern synths. So I just remarked that I liked the sound of modular synths compared to software (Which was my personal opinion even if you guys don't think that way, it's still fine. To each their own.) and he started to take pot shots at me by saying that "people only use modular because they're hipsters. The sound is first of all crap. Everything now is crap anyway. Go and listen to a real keyboard synth like *insert a very complicated synth keyboard name*" so knowing that I might have offended him, I tried to end the conversation by saying "guess I'll stick to DJing then haha" and he just replied "yeah go back to DJing. You guys don't even know crap about production so don't even think of stepping into that territory."

It made me feel like crap really. I take the time to plan out a set, where I can slot effects in or where I can do a mashup but my friend indirectly hinted that DJ have no talent. I just feel depressed all of a sudden. Just needed to get that off my chest. I don't care if this gets locked or deleted or whatever. I needed to get this out of my head. Thanks for reading this far.

Is this guy any good? Does he actually *produce* or does he just own the equipment to do it?

'cos if he ain't, or doesn't - then I don't see a problem...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Well in my opinion it is the big Problem nowadays that everyone who produces electronic Music and lands a hit, has to be behind a DJ desk in opposite every DJ thinks he has to produce & to land a hit record to become a wellknown DJ.
    Jean-Michel Jarre, Yello, Kraftwerk, Vangelis, etc... produced electronic Music and never been seen behind a DJ Booth.
    In oppsition to that, untill the nineties maybe only a few DJs did allready produce, the mass just wa spinnin' the records.

Talking about guys like Avicii, Guetta, Tiesto, etc...we should nowadays use the term Performing Producer or maybe DJ-Producer like in the movie Scene there are Producers and executive Producers. Those EDM guys mentionned are neither Producers nore really DJs (Some of them started, more or less talented, as DJ or Producers and turned into a 3rd gender that we should find a terminology for).

DJs have Talent, just another than Musicians, which have other talents than a Producer which has other talents than a DJ.

Examples of DJ talents:

- "Reading the Crowd" for example is a Talent that no Producer has.
    - Handling drunken assholes in a dive bar at 5am is a Talent a Producer doesn't have
    - Working for a Hand full of Money when Promoters & Club Owners make the big Money and everybody only Comes to the place because of the DJ is also one of those talents.

So you see Talent has been given to all of us, sometimes it just Need the right Point of view to recognize it.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Is this guy any good? Does he actually *produce* or does he just own the equipment to do it?

He does produce legit music and is pretty good too. If you want I can PM you his bandcamp link. Don't want to do it publicly.

I agree but I'm not sure the 2nd and 3rd talents you listed are going to make the OP feel better...

The guy sounds like a complete loser

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post

He does produce music and he uses equipment like keyboard synths and stuff. And he's into drum and bass as well so that's what he produces. If you want, PM me and I can give you a link to his stuff. I don't want to do it openly.

But yeah, he's much older than me 22 or 23. And maybe it's just his old man mentality that's in play here. He only likes old stuff and hates the new DnB because old DnB is better.

Schalenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    The guy sounds like a complete loser
    Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by Schalenberg View Post
    Which one?
    me

and the guy OP is talking to of course

Schalenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    me
    Agreed.