Midifighter Twister - Firmware - No update since August 2014 - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by EanGolden View Post
    My question for #2 is: Aside from putting that on GitHub, how does the management work? Do people just fork the code and use the bits they want? I assume we end up with a lot of various builds, and not one single code base.
    A good start would be to just put it on GitHub and have somebody who can, occasionally, review and merge pull requests. Since you no longer have in-house technical staff, I don't think its reasonable to expect you to do any more than that. You may even want to give a trusted community member commit access to do the review/merging since paying a contractor may not make economic sense.

Going by my experience with the original Midifighter source code, you're likely not going to have very many people play with the code and fewer still will contribute changes. As far as I remember, from speaking with Robin and Michael, myself and my brother were one of the only (possibly the only) people who actually made any significant changes to the original Midifighter firmware (changes are available here, btw). However, having the code available will give people who care some level of comfort and hopefully will mean that a few bugs get fixed here and there. It also may help get back some of the tinkerer/maker vibe that Midifighter had back in the early days (which is what got me interested in the first place -- I am not a DJ).

As I said in my previous post, I'm willing to help where I can, although actually implementing changes/fixes, testing them and rolling them out is.. probably not realistic as I don't own a Twister and can't currently rationalise buying one just to tinker with (as I said above, I'm not a DJ), but that doesn't mean I can't help, especially as I've had past experience with the MF codebase so may be able to provide some guidance to others.

Will you be open sourcing the firmware for the entire Midifighter range or just the Twister? (I suspect they're all quite similar anyway -- the 3D code was surprisingly similar to the Pro for example)
    Last edited by guywithknife; 05-17-2016 at 05:07 AM.

Thanks Ean, looking forward to trying this out later

Isn't there a forum moderator with a bit of c/c++ knowledge that would like to review and merge the pull requests?

@guywithknife same for me, I don't own a twister either and though the amount of "tech" in DJTechTools has definitely declined in the last few years there must be some people left who own a twister AND have sufficient amount of technical knowledge to fix these bugs?
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Quote Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou View Post
    Isn't there a forum moderator with a bit of c/c++ knowledge that would like to review and merge the pull requests?
    I think it's important to have a clear vision what will the official repo represent. If the repo always contains the exact source code of the current latest official firmware, then it should be handled by someone who not only has c/c++ knowledge but who also takes care of proper testing, regressions, documentation updates etc... If the official repo will be something more like "public beta", i.e. always a little bit ahead of the official firmware, then - yes - "forum moderator with a bit of c knowledge" is sufficient.

Of course, the repo can contain both at the same time, but then the branches should be clearly distinguished.

(Note that I am talking about the official DJTT repository, not about all the potential versions forked from it)

Oh and Ean, if you're putting the twister firmware online, the spectra source couldn't hurt either Since I do own that controller (love it BTW)
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by EanGolden View Post
    The following will be fixed this week
    *Encoders ignore incoming midi when turned We are going to speed this up and make some changes that will minimize this problem dramatically.
    Ean Golden
    Hi Ean,

I have tested the "EXPERIMENTAL_LEDSpeed.hex" and the LED rings can be updated faster (some other changes are also working nice). The "Encoders ignore incoming midi when turned" fix is not in this firmware, as you said above.

Just one idea: In 3FH/41H mode put the LED ring control on another channel, so that its totally independent from the encoder output. This is simple and should be bulletproof. By putting the CC (63, 65, 0 and 127) on one channel, there is a spare one in 3FH/41H mode anyway.

Hope to see the next update soon.

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the feedback - especially @psyko which was helpful.

Here is the newest version, which is a Release Candidate, that fixes all bugs we planned on solving!

The final fixes (in addition to the last round)

• Animations now respond to the Midi Clock
    • Shifted encoders now output to channel 5 (which means they work now and are separate!)
    • We given switches their own animation channel (midi channel 6) so you can animate the switches separate from the encoders (which are on channel 3)
    • Relative encoders (3F/41) no longer ignore midi feedback when being turned

If everyone could please download and test these changes that would be amazing, as we want to release to the public soon.

In order for the encoder shift channel to take effect, you should run a factory reset on the twister
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks very much Boss
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Default MIDI Out problem

I have been experiencing a problem with my Twister. I made a support ticket (#48750). In response, I was told my problem would be fixed by this firmware update. I have tried this latest update. Unfortunately the problem still persists.

Here is my problem.

I am hoping to set up the Twister so that when changing banks, the bottom 8 encoders do not change their function. To achieve this, in the Midifighter Utility, I have set it up so the bottom 8 encoders always send the same MIDI messages (same channel and CC).

This mapping works fine in bank 1, however for banks 2, 3 and 4, I have found the bottom 8 encoders do not respond to changes to values in Ableton Live. Ie. the Twister does not display MIDI out information in any bank except for bank 1.

It seems the Twister does not like to display the same MIDI Out messages across multiple banks.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Thank you
    Daniel

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Two things I noticed:

* Switch action Reset Encoder Value - Not working if set as ENC 3F/41 but work if set as CC. If detent is enabled reset send velocity 64 as requested, no results if set as ENC
    * Switch action Encoder Fine Adjust -
    Not working if set as ENC 3F/41 but work if set as CC

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast