Midifighter Twister - Firmware - No update since August 2014 - Page 7
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by noofny View Post
    How do I obtain the previous firmware so I can revert to previous functionality (13 Aug 2014) please?

Here you go: How to: Downgrade your Twister's firmware (Aug 13 2014)

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by noofny View Post
    Super work on the firmware updates, sorry I've been busy to check in.

Tried it out but there are breaking changes for my setup, need to rollback for now until I have time to debug.

How do I obtain the previous firmware so I can revert to previous functionality (13 Aug 2014) please?
    Hey Noofny,

Have you ensure to preform a factory reset in the Midifighter Utility after the firmware update?

Tech Wizard

Cheers padi_04 - got it sorted.

Stewe - yeah tried that a couple of times too. The colors for the encoders no longer show with existing code, so looks like some CC's have changed. Will get time to look into it soon, will post anything interesting here if I fond it (could just be me or a bug).

Quote Originally Posted by EanGolden View Post
    Hey Everyone! I am very happy to report that we have a final firmware build ready for public release. A lot of work and attention went into this - thanks to everyone that helped!

Hello, sorry for not providing earlier feedback on the beta releases. As a software developer I wanted my testing to be thorough, which takes time. This is hobby stuff for me and life is sometimes too busy.

The latest release fixes the biggest problems I had with the firmware. I mostly use the relative, ENC-3Fh/41H style controls and before I couldn't update the encoder LEDs while turning the knobs - this now works well. I like how the 'Shift Encoder' setting works, with CCs going out on different channels for pressed/unpressed.

There are several small problems:
    1. When I do a factory reset the MidiFighter Utility always crashes (this is on OS X El Capitan 10.11.6). The Twister settings appear to reset properly, but MFU dies.
    2. MFU infrequently hangs after upload settings to the Twister. Again the Twister settings work properly but the MFU interface doesn't get updated (ie. if I change colors the Twister gets the color but MFU hangs with the old color). If I restart MFU everything works again.
    3. MFU infrequently uploads the wrong settings. I've seen a single LED color be wrong (ie. upload all 16 as red, but one gets set as blue), encoder or button type is wrong, and once a knob on the first bank got the settings of the second bank control of the same number (so 'Switch MIDI channel' was 21 on 1st bank instead of 5 and the two knobs shared state - change value on bank 1 and bank 2 LEDs matched).
    4. The Twister sometimes enters a weird state after using it. One program opens the Twister for use then closes it, and if I touch Twister controls the unit either reboots itself (clearing all the control values and LED levels) or sometimes it's in a laggy state - turn a knob or press a button and the LEDs update 0.5 seconds later. I would like it if the Twister didn't care if it was open by a program and responded normally even though MIDI events would go nowhere. This is on OS X so possibly that has something to do with it.
    5. Detents sometimes go to CC value 63 and other times 64. I think it would be best if it always went to 63. This is probably a rounding bug in the firmware.

The first three problems are likely MFU bugs and not firmware bugs. It's like the MIDI stream is sometimes losing or corrupting data and MFU gets confused. It's possible these problems only exist on the OS X version - I haven't tested the Windows version. I'm plugging the Twister directly into my MacBook Air - no hub is involved when using MFU (though I think that itself is a bug - you should be able to configure it through a hub since it's just sending/receiving SysEx messages).

So for everyone that was holding off buying a Twister because they saw the complaints of bugs, you shouldn't any more. The firmware is much improved and very usable. It's a great device and even though the concept of it is simple, there really isn't anything else like it. It's powerful and has so many different uses. I started out wanting knobs to control settings in my own software but now that I've watched all the DJ TechTools videos I am playing with music production stuff too

Default MFU midi channels

this is a feature request for the mf-utility.
    please make all midi-channels configurable.
    i need to change the led feedback channels and the encoder shift/toggle that is always at channel 5.
    best regards....

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by EanGolden View Post
    If anyone is interested in working on the firmware themselves email me and we will share the code with you directly ean (at) eangolden.com
    Hi Ean,

what about the source code? I sent an Email about 5 month ago - did I miss the code release?

Quote Originally Posted by Psyko View Post
    Hi Ean,

what about the source code? I sent an Email about 5 month ago - did I miss the code release?
    +1

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Psyko View Post
    Hi Ean,

Yeah... as you can see, I offered to help at the beginning of the year/thread, but when there was no movement on making the source available (or even acknowledging those of us who offered their time to help), I kinda lost interest.
    I would have been happy to help whatever way I could (code if for classic/pro/3d as I have those to test, but guidance for twister since I don't have one) and MF Utility (I wrote the original so should be able to navigate the code, although it was a number of years ago now). I followed this thread for a while until I got bored and am now busy with other things. What a pity.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Both the source code and a new version of the MF Utility will be available before the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Both the source code and a new version of the MF Utility will be available before the end of the year.
    This is awesome and DJTT has no obligation to keep us updated or something but it would have been very nice though
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast