low freq. during mixing
    Tech Wizard

Default low freq. during mixing

hi all, i have a question regarding the drum hits when i'm blending two tracks. i've been noticing that some of the drum hit when beat matched seam to get quite on one beat then happens again a few beats later. this only happens when two tracks are beat matched and blending and i'm tuning up one low end eq and turning down the other. i've had this happen when playing on vinyl too. is it the eq'ing or maybe the amp? cuz i''m using a crappy sony receiver currently.

Tech Guru

I believe this might be a phase issue. If your beats are not quite matched up, the waves will destructively interfere with each other. or.... you could just be clipping or something

Tech Wizard

thanks for the ideas.

Tech Guru

just a question: do you use sync in traktor (if you use traktor, I use sync). If you use sync, making sure your beat grids are set up right will help this problem (if its a phase problem). I usually take one song with a long bass kick intro, and just sync things to it, and make the bass/hi hats sound good together in order to set my grids.

Its basically like manually beat matching with the adjusters, and then you never have to do it again.

Tech Wizard

yup, i'm using traktor. i also set the beat grids myself. i'll try out your idea of syncing tracks to a song with a long intro. i'm also going to look into my amp/receiver. maybe i don't have the levels right in my setup.

Tech Guru

if you try that method, just loop an 8 beat bar of straight bass, I usually pick a part with no hi hat.

another stab in the dark. do you use keylock? If so, is it set to HiQ, and how far do you usually speed up/slow down tracks?

Tech Wizard

key lock is on. i'm running traktor duo, so i don't think i have HiQ. as far as bpm changes it's usually 0-4 bpm's

Tech Guru

I find that when I try to stretch traktors key lock, even on the hiQ setting in TPro, things get... nasty sounding, after about 3-3.5 %

Traktor usually starts randomly dropping bass beats for me, and things sound, squished.

Tech Wizard

thanks for your hep and ideas sine143! have a good turkey day!