Need advice: Setting up a RnB Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need advice: Setting up a RnB Playlist

Hi guys,

I have a big gig in 3 weeks, have to play only RNB and Hip hop.
    I am trying to get a good organized music folder but cannot get the clou.
    My music is very special, not really comparable to US black music but the flow is the same. BPM range from 55 to 125 and genres like souly RNB, Gangster type Hip hop, trap hip hop etc.

The problem I have since a feew weeks, I have no idea, how to sort the list to have a fluent evening without having interruptions in tempo, melody and flow.

Therefore I appreciate every hint to let me sleep well!

Thanks
    KC

Tech Guru

Youre not the right DJ for this gig. Let someone who actually knows and understands this music take the gig.

I hate it when you go to a themed night and the DJ clearly has no idea about the type of music in the theme.

And I hate people who do not give others a chance!
    I am well experienced with US RnB, I can play the whole night with it. But this gig is very special, with a new type of non US music and very difficuilt to sort.

I am confused as to what you want...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    Youre not the right DJ for this gig..
    I totally agree.

My dear khan.cross, what are your motivations to make this gig??? For me it just sounds like motivated to take the Money but not to make the work that goes with the Job.

The question you ask is basically "Can you please tell me how to do my DJ Job?" 'cause sorting his Library is the Task #1 for a DJ even before thinking of rocking the Dancefloor.

And to be honnest there is no universal/magical way to sort a Library. The use of the tracks in a Set is something so subjective that what works for me doesn't work for you and what works for you doesn't work for ImNoDJ, etc...

So there is only 1 way to go my friend: Sit Down and listen to the tracks and then sort them depending on your own appreciation.

Sorry it's "Way to go" and the reason why there are good DJs and a lot of junk on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Nawlins View Post
    I totally agree.

sorting his Library is the Task #1 for a DJ even before thinking of rocking the Dancefloor.

And to be honnest there is no universal/magical way to sort a Library. The use of the tracks in a Set is something so subjective that what works for me doesn't work for you and what works for you doesn't work for ImNoDJ, etc...

So there is only 1 way to go my friend: Sit Down and listen to the tracks and then sort them depending on your own appreciation.
    In my opinion, these sum it up. ^^^^^

Don't think anyone's trying to rubbish your opportunities, we don't necessarily want to see you sink at a gig you aren't prepared for. Certainly, start somewhere, but start with your own comfort zone, and it sounds like you are outside what you are comortable with.

If someone came to me looking a 'Northern Soul' night for example, I'd be passing it on.. I know I'm not prepped for that, and I don't know much about the genre.
    I'd definitely keep intergrity, by being honest, and I'd not be pushing people away from booking me for a different event that I am capable for.

If you insist on doing it, I hope it works out.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

55bpm?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    55bpm?
    Back in the day there was this Houston, TX hip hop record label called Swishahouse that would released these Screwed and Chopped mixtapes of R&B and call it "Straight to the Room." Maybe he's going for the codeined out sound?

Some trap or new school Hip Hop tracks has very low BPM but still dancable. Here is an example:

This day I created folders and sorted the tracks. Folders like Bass, Groovy, Rnb, Jump, Trap, Slow etc. Afterwards I tagged all songs in each folders with these genres. Finally I analized all tracks in Traktor to get the BPM and Key, however I think with short transitions, which are usual with Rnb and Hip Hop, there is not really need for the Key info, isn't it?

What I want to do, to flow this gig is, having one folder 'Warm Up' tracks, for about 1 hour from the beginning. Within this hour and when the room is filled, slowly increase the speed to come to another folder called 'Party' but before playing a big party track, turn the volume down a second and then play a jump around track followed by others!
    Then I will have another folder 'Cool Down', for rapidly getting the crowd chilled after party. Then another DJ will play with a different style of RnB and get the crowd up again. Later on, I am again at the system with my 'Party' folder. At the end I have a folder with throwout tracks.

What do you think with this?
    Last edited by khan.cross; 04-26-2016 at 04:10 PM.

I don't think anyone here is going to give you playlists or tell you how to DJ a night that you are not prepared for. What you are talking about in your last post is the ESSENCE of what a DJ does.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast