DJ Player App questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DJ Player App questions

I've been toying withe the idea of switching from Traktor Pro on a Mac to running an ultra portable DVS setup with the DJ Player app at the heart of it so I can leave the laptop at home and not worry about thrills and spills in the booth (I'd rather trash a £300 iPad than a £1,600 laptop, you get me?). I'm considering buying an iPad purely for running DJ Player and a Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter to connect to my Traktor A6 for DVS. A little about me, I purely mix from A to B (no frill's House DJ) and only use a few loops, cue points and effect on my mixer.

Does anyone have any or experience of using this kind of setup? Let me know what you think

Key questions that I'm interested in having answered:
    • Is it stable?
    •*Can you record a mix with it?
    • Can you customise the screen layout (track menu and basic deck information and cue points)?
    • How's the BPM and Key detection?
    • Can you create playlists and filter through track information easily?
    • Has any one had any experience of running it through a USB hub with a DVS Box and a MIDI controller?

Link's and information:
    DJ Player in App store
    Apple USB 3 Camera Adapter

Last edited by A$H; 04-30-2016 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Add Video

One thing to keep in mind is that the old Apple lightning to usb will NOT let you charge your iPad while in use.

They just came out with a new model that does.

It's called the Apple lightning to usb 3 adapter and it has an extra lightning port.

I had a little play with DJ Player and DJ Player Pro last with night with my gf's iPad and a 'Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter'. I managed to get the DVS setup with DJ Player where it was controlling the waveforms on screen but I wasn't able to get any output signal from my Traktor Audio 6. I really struggled to get DJ Player Pro to work with DVS all together. It's possible that IOS may need to be updated, or I may need to update the firmware on the Audio 6, or that the DVS features are only fully unlocked when you buy or subscribe to the full packages (if so can some one confirm?).
    Cho2mk7WkAAQzZV.jpg

Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

I finally managed to get the DJPlayer and DJPlayerPro working on my partners iPad (hence the Dolly Parton) and my NI Audio 6. I've been a Traktor die hard until now and after playing with this for a few hour last night I've ordered myself my own iPad specificaly for DJing.

It's a shame that the Traktor DJ app hasn't been updated to support DVS as I would have bought an iPad long ago.

Bahaha the Dolly Parton had me pissing myself.
    Glad you got it sorted Ash, looks pretty responsive
    SC | MC

Tech Wizard

Hi Ash,

It was the A6 setting that was stuck in 'thru' right?
    I'm still with DJPP too and will soon upload my new midi map for my MCX8000.
    Also using DVS, or at least i can if i want too

Thats right, I've managed to fix that now. The only thing that I want to try and fix is boosting the timecode signal to my iPad.
    I've bought some ground loop isolators, I'm hoping that these may give me a cleaner louder signal.

CkVUDb9WEAAzG6j.jpg

Tech Wizard

Nice one.
    What control vinyl do you use? I bought the Serato 'performance' ones, because the signal is recorded/pressed 6db louder on them.
    I never found out compared to what though - louder than the previous/normal Serato ones, or louder than all control vinyls on the market..
    Might also help!
    I get a 'could be stronger' signal and can't turn that up. But it is sufficient. Shouldn't be a problem.
    I briefly had a other controller with DVS possibly, where I could vary the level of the line/phono inputs until it was 'good'
    Now on the MCX I can't change the phono input level.
    I dropped using DVS for a while - midi mapping and making sure all is good with my system. Leaving DVS out of this makes possible trouble easier to find..

Good luck with the isolators,
    Grtz
    DJ: Denon MCX8000/DJ Player Pro/SL1200 & CDJ1000's. Serato DJ on iMac.
    Studio: LPX/Synthmaster/AU's/Access Virus A/Machine Drum/XV5050/Röde K2/iMac

I just tested the isolators and the response of the signal seemed to be better when playing the track but once I held or stopped the deck the track would play start to play backwards slowly.

I'm using Traktor Pro 2 DVS timecodes, they seem pretty good to me and the vinyl whine from the needles isn't as annoying. I've a pair of clear purple Serato timecodes to try out with the needle drop but it didn't work as well as I though it would, plus the whine from the needles is so effing annoying.

I've got some barely touched Mixvibes DVS timecodes as well but I haven't bothered to find out the frequency of those things yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast