First DJ controller
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default First DJ controller

Well I'm just taking a dip in the water and have been basically just playing music for friends and i've been doing it all with keyboard and mouse. I just want to experience DJing with a controller so I'm looking for an affordable controller and have been looking at the Hercules Compact Controller for a while. Is this a good choice?

Something like that would be fine but it is quite limited in what you can do with it.
    And you will need a separate audio interface, although if you've been using keyboard/mouse you will be ok carrying on with the set-up you have.

What software are you using at the moment?
    SC | MC

Well currently im using Mixxx but if i end my school year on honor roll i intend to reward myself with PCDJ Dex

Ok well the Hercules controller will work with both software but you may have to map it yourself so the controls work as expected.
    If you just want a cheap controller to get started with Mixx it will be fine.

But....

The PCDJ Dex software is quite expensive and is not one of the major DJ software packages - I've never even heard of it - but it may be brilliant, I honestly don't know.

If you add the cost of the Hercules controller to the cost of the Dex software then it comes to about $200.

For a little bit more I'd look into something like the new Pioneer DDJ-RB:
    https://www.pioneerdj.com/en/product...lack/overview/

It comes with built-in audio & the Pioneer DJ software - so everything you need to get going straight away.

Or for a little bit less there's the Mixtrack Pro:
    http://www.numark.com/product/mixtrack-pro-3

Again it comes with built-in audio & DJ software (Serato Intro)

Most of the Dj controller manufacturers make an 'intro' controller that comes with software included - Denon, Numark, Reloop etc. so have a good look around.

Personally, if I were just starting out I'd get the Pioneer DDJ-RB.
    Decent quality for the price, industry standard software & good resale value.
    SC | MC

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by DC4 View Post
    Well currently im using Mixxx but if i end my school year on honor roll i intend to reward myself with PCDJ Dex
    Gotta agree with Nicky on the controller and Controller - if you want to get into DJ'ing, get software that is "standard" and gear thats got controls that you will find in a booth.

I honestly haven't seen PCDJ in use by anyone in ......... ohhhhh over 12 years !

Pioneer, Native instruments and Serato are the most used software in clubs and come bundled with a ton of controllers - most of which are better than the Hercules.

** Virtual DJ is widely used as well, but expensive for the Pro Licence**

there is a reloop controller in the buy sell forum...check it out...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    there is a reloop controller in the buy sell forum...check it out...
    Can you access the B&S with only 2 posts ?

access? yes...post? no...

I think...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Thanks

Systematik

I'd say, definitely do not go for anything that's branded Hercules. Once you start getting better at DJing, you'll regret your purchase.
    A great all in one, that comes with a professional full software is indeed the DDJ-RB. If you have a bit more money to spare, you could look into the Traktor Kontrol S2.

These are the only two controllers I can recommend because you don't want to use LE versions of software, trust me.

And please don't buy PCDJ Dex. You'll want to stick to the professional softwares like Traktor, Serato and Rekordbox.
    Last edited by Systematik; 05-07-2016 at 03:41 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast