How much time invested until profitability ; Earning a few bucks in graduate school.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How much time invested until profitability ; Earning a few bucks in graduate school.

I'm new to the forum and seek to learn all that I can while on here. I'm currently a newbie to the DJ world with the aspiration of becoming a performing dj / producer. I am also currently a senior level student finishing up my bachelors degree.
    I currently am faced with a dilemma and you guys can be of tremendous help.

I am currently on track to work in the business world within marketing. After getting a taste of practical business experience, I realize, that in order to get ahead in corporations and agencies you have to put in a lot of hours, we're talking 50+. If I don't find a job within 40 -50 hour range, it's not really worth it to me. My true aspiration is to make something out of DJ / Producing, not earning 100k+ by working 60+ hours in an industry thats mildly interesting. In the mean time, I know I need to make a living. The goal would be to go to grad school in a career that allows for a work/life balance. Im not sure marketing will allow me to get that.

Do you guys think it's it is possible to become skilled enough to land paid gigs within one years time of learning how to do to dj? Could it be enough to pay your bills as a broke college student?.. Post - grad, I would fall back from DJing for money and focus on producing. Figuring the sequence of it all is crucial to my game plan.

Thanks for listening guys!

How do you even know you like it? This sounds like a ridiculous plan, though yes it is definitely possible to get there in 1 year time if you invest a lot of time.
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Unless you DJ for the love of it, you won't get particularly far. I say that because actually getting to a point where you can earn reasonable money from it is both time consuming and annoying, so it's something you would need to enjoy doing anyway as a hobby if nothing else. You also need not a little amount of luck.
    Speaking personally, I was a legend in my own bedroom 7 nights a week for 3 years until I landed my first, well paid, residency. Before that I had done gigs on and off but never for much more than fuel money. I would study your arse off and get that behind you and treat DJ'ing/Production as a secondary venture for fun and, if/when the situation allows, a source of income.

TLDR; Yes it's do-able within a year but I wouldn't bet on it.
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stazbumpa View Post
    Speaking personally, I was a legend in my own bedroom 7 nights a week....
    That's what she said.
    (Sorry. I couldn't resist)

@OP: If you are a cold blooded business guy with a few good connections to the night life, i guess it is very doable within a year. Hell, you wouldn't even need to be able to dj well to get your name out there with a dope marketing strategy and the mentioned connections.
    If you aren't the above mentioned i doubt that you'll get very far. I know so many guys producing awesome music and dj frequently, but have trouble landing the big gigs, because it is all about who you know.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Paris View Post
    That's what she said.

@OP: If you are a cold blooded business guy with a few good connections to the night life, i guess it is very doable within a year. Hell, you wouldn't even need to be able to dj well to get your name out there with a dope marketing strategy and the mentioned connections.
    If you aren't the above mentioned i doubt that you'll get very far. I know so many guys producing awesome music and dj frequently, but have trouble landing the big gigs, because it is all about who you know.
    Very good point
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

I know this is a clichéd comment, but don't do it for the money. Plan to get nothing out of it financially and if it happens then great!
    SC - WS

Get a boob job and wear a bikini top and you'll be making profits in 3 weeks.

That's what she said.
    I was never legendary at that :-p

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    Get a boob job and wear a bikini top and you'll be making profits in 3 weeks.
    Sex tape is optional.
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

That's what she said.

You reminded me of that Vice article, anybody knows the link to it?

EDIT: got it: https://thump.vice.com/en_ca/article...an-art-project
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    You reminded me of that Vice article, anybody knows the link to it?

EDIT: got it: https://thump.vice.com/en_ca/article...an-art-project
    I was actually reffering to that article, but to lazy to search for it
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast