Is the Pioneer DDJ-RX adequate for a club install?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Is the Pioneer DDJ-RX adequate for a club install?

My friend is setting up a DJ booth at his bar.

He consulted me to help him plan it out.

Of course he asked me about installing 2 CDJs and a mixer.

But I'm thinking a Pioneer DDJ-RX might be an affordable option.

Would you be happy if a gig had a built-in RX? Or is it still mandatory to have CDJs?

Serato DJs might demand the CDJs for Time code CDs.

Anyway to control Serato with HID on the RX?

Tech Guru

I feel you need to have USB capability if you ever want to bring people in?
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Tech Wizard

i feel you answered your own question in regards to the use of serato and to an extent cd's in general. as much as rekordbox is taking over the world people are still out there playing on tracktor, serato, and even the humble old cd.

it would be a cheaper option at first but would be better in the long run to install mixer with cdj's. but in saying all that i would not be worried if a club had an rx, would make the night more interesting and fun playing on different equipment that im use to

personally I'd suggest a pair of well looked after 2nd hand CDJ 2000s - they're not as expensive these days with all the new nexus versions now around

But they can run CDs, USBs, have an ethernet to share files from USB stick (in case either the DJ has only brought 1/lost one/one of them has failed etc), very solid and can also hook up to traktor/serato/mixvibes cross/rekordbox DJ etc

Add in as decent a mixer as you can get with whatever you've got left of the budget and you've got an excellent versatile setup, great sound quality, and if one of the decks develops a fault you can swap it out and get in a replacement very easily (or even hire one in the meantime while you get yours fixed as there's still a fair few hire companies doing them)
    CDJ 2000s : DJM 900: Reloop RP-7000s : Mixvibes Cross 3+ : HPCompaq : iMac: Maschine 2 : Traktor Pro2 : XDJ-AERO : RMX1000
    facebook.com/djanedalton / and my DJ alter-ego, The Imperatrixx

RX restricts those who wish to use CD's!!
    Go 2000's!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I'd go with a pair of XDJ's and Separate Mixer if you want cheap and cheerful.

You really do Ideally want your in-house setup to be modular rather than an All-In-One.

CDJ2000's, sure - but for an installation I'd be more inclined to go new otherwise they wont be able to write off the purchase against tax

RX restricts those who wish to use CD's!!
    People insisting on using CD's prevent us from moving into the 21st century !

I would go for the RX, we did a few club gigs with it and it's adequate (sound quality and overall).
    Modular won't bring you any less trouble in terms of redundancy unless you purchase 3 CDJ's, have that in mind As for the CD and serato crowd, you can always just rent additional CDJ's
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

The DDJ-RX does not exist, so I am unsure how the previous posters formulated their opinions. :-p

If you are speaking about the XDJ-RX, than yes purchase it for the bar

If you are speaking of the ddj-rz, dont get it. Go with the XDJ-RX
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

CDJ's for sure - with an actual CD slot.
    SC | MC

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    The DDJ-RX does not exist, so I am unsure how the previous posters formulated their opinions. :-p

If you are speaking about the XDJ-RX, than yes purchase it for the bar

If you are speaking of the ddj-rz, dont get it. Go with the XDJ-RX
    https://www.pioneerdj.com/en-us/prod...lack/overview/
    SC | MC

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast