Convince me to not go from CDJs back to Traktor
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Convince me to not go from CDJs back to Traktor

So I currently use a CDJ 900 NXS + 2000 setup with a DJM800 + RMX-1000 which I absolutely love. As I'm starting to get more invested into my actual career as a medical/graduate student, I'm questioning why I have such expensive gear when I'm not playing out at clubs or anything... With the introduction of the XDJ-RX and even the DDJ-SX, it's becoming harder and harder for me to not really consider selling my equipment and buying a controller which can really accomplish the same thing.

I initially went the CDJ route because I really liked the large platters which made beatmatching much easier for me. I also felt that I really learned how to phrase much better when I started using the CDJs. I also absolutely love the RMX-1000, but I think I may have to give it up if I move to a controller unless I just drop it between the controller and monitors.

I really like the XDJ-RX, but a lot of people seem to be saying it's not built as well as the CDJs? Has anyone played on one to really see how it is? Unfortunately, my GC doesn't have one here, and I don't really wanna purchase one before selling my equipment. I do have an SX coming on Wednesday that I will try out, but I think I still prefer mixing without a laptop. The other reason why I'm shying away from CDJs is because when I DJd at my cousin's wedding, I had to move all my songs/cues to Traktor anyways because I didn't want to bring my CDJ setup, so I feel like moving back to digital DJing is the right move with my sister's wedding coming up next year.

I dunno what the point of this post really is, but I know I'm really going to miss my CDJs and DJM if I sell them even if I do end up loving the Pioneer controller or whatever I get.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Just use the CDJ's in HID mode with traktor.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    Just use the CDJ's in HID mode with traktor.
    This man gets it. Why not both.
    For all my VCI-100 lovers view my step by step guide to moding your very own VCI-100 Arcade edition
    http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=56270

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    Want to get better? Two words... jesus pose. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Tech Guru

Well, it's more that the CDJs are just insane overkill (in terms of price) for what I currently do. Also, I think using CDJs just to control Traktor seems a little silly considering a $600-$1000 controller accomplishes the same thing? Are there really any benefits of using CDJs to control Traktor via HID vs midi?
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Tech Wizard

Keep the cdjs even if it's in cupboards, if you sell then you will regret it later on. At least I did when I sold a pair of 1000mk3s to fund a traktor set up.there are controllers on the market that ypu can plug in cdjs and use then in conjunction with the controller maybe look into that

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    So I currently use a CDJ 900 NXS + 2000 setup with a DJM800 + RMX-1000 which I absolutely love. As I'm starting to get more invested into my actual career as a medical/graduate student, I'm questioning why I have such expensive gear when I'm not playing out at clubs or anything... With the introduction of the XDJ-RX and even the DDJ-SX, it's becoming harder and harder for me to not really consider selling my equipment and buying a controller which can really accomplish the same thing.

I initially went the CDJ route because I really liked the large platters which made beatmatching much easier for me. I also felt that I really learned how to phrase much better when I started using the CDJs. I also absolutely love the RMX-1000, but I think I may have to give it up if I move to a controller unless I just drop it between the controller and monitors.

I really like the XDJ-RX, but a lot of people seem to be saying it's not built as well as the CDJs? Has anyone played on one to really see how it is? Unfortunately, my GC doesn't have one here, and I don't really wanna purchase one before selling my equipment. I do have an SX coming on Wednesday that I will try out, but I think I still prefer mixing without a laptop. The other reason why I'm shying away from CDJs is because when I DJd at my cousin's wedding, I had to move all my songs/cues to Traktor anyways because I didn't want to bring my CDJ setup, so I feel like moving back to digital DJing is the right move with my sister's wedding coming up next year.

I dunno what the point of this post really is, but I know I'm really going to miss my CDJs and DJM if I sell them even if I do end up loving the Pioneer controller or whatever I get.

Maybe you should look into renting your gear out? the CDJs are total overkill but you will regret selling them. you could run the place on a smaller mix track but what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    When I hit Sync I get a double espresso from Midi Out.

Tech Guru

Unfortunately I live in a tiny college town so no one would really rent it (nor would I trust drunk college kids to handle the gear safely). The bars already all have the equipment. How much does renting out CDJs and DJMs usually get per hour?

I guess the only advantage of moving towards a single controller would be saving money and really getting all the Traktor FX, but I've always felt overwhelmed by Traktor FX which is why I liked my DJM and RMX-1000, very simple.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Unfortunately I live in a tiny college town so no one would really rent it (nor would I trust drunk college kids to handle the gear safely). The bars already all have the equipment. How much does renting out CDJs and DJMs usually get per hour?

I guess the only advantage of moving towards a single controller would be saving money and really getting all the Traktor FX, but I've always felt overwhelmed by Traktor FX which is why I liked my DJM and RMX-1000, very simple.
    I mean i've used everything- DDJ-SX's, S4's, XDJ/CDJs, DVS on Traktor and Serato, and I've had tons of fun on it all.. CDJs at the end of the day though just work.

With a controller you have to take the laptop around everywhere which Imo is a hassle.

Rekordbox's library management workflow is different than serato and traktor. After trying your SX out you may find rekordbox to be superior. I know I did.

Serato and traktor do give you a ton of cool effects to play around with. Both are solid software platforms, but again you have a laptop.

Take another look at your workflow and maybe even try HID mode to see if traktor suits you better!

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    When I hit Sync I get a double espresso from Midi Out.

Laptops are annoying and risky to gig out with, and for some people who come from CDJs it's not as fun or comfortable having to spend a lot of your workflow looking at the screen.

I go back and forth between Traktor and CDJs depending on what style I'm playing and everytime I use CDJs I feel this ineffable sense of freedom and enjoyment since the laptop's not there and I'm mostly looking at my hands on the controls. This is a massively subjective and personal thing but I have a lot less anxiety with the CDJs. Maybe it's just that it's more rote than using the laptop, I don't know.

On the other hand I feel like the farther my music gets from four on the floor, straightforward dance tracks the more enjoyable it is to mix with Traktor. The entire CDJ paradigm is has evolved around very straightforward quantized kick drums on every quarter beat with a 8, 16, 32 bar structure and they are really not useful to me for modern future beat and netlabel type stuff with a lot of syncopation, lead-ins, and unconventional bar phrasing.

Anyway, $4000 of gear sitting around in the house and not earning gig money is kind of a sunk investment unless you're wealthy, especially when there are things like the XDJ-RX out there that are a great at-home simulacra of club gear. Resale value on Pio gear is great, but still, you know.

Tech Guru

Yea, I spoke to mart21har in PMs a bit, and I think I will just see how the SX I ordered does when it arrives this Wednesday. I am thinking it will be enough to satisfy the similarity to CDJs and a DJM, but I definitely agree on feeling attached when I have to use a laptop!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast