Good budget needles for turntables?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Schalenberg

Default Good budget needles for turntables?

I’m on a really tight budget; looking for solid, budget-friendly needles (pre-mounted). Any recommendations?

Tech Guru

It helps if you say your budget! Everyone has a different idea of budget-friendly.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Schalenberg

Something less than $150 for the pair (if that's possible).

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Schalenberg View Post
    Something less than $150 for the pair (if that's possible).
    M44-7's should fit the bill and take tons of abuse.

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-Cartridg...44-7+headshell

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    When I hit Sync I get a double espresso from Midi Out.

Spend enough time on eBay and you can find some deadstock Stantons, Numarks or something similar for under $150.

That's if you have a surplus of time to wait it out. The great deals aren't there just waiting for you to find them.

Telling someone to go to eBay seems like crappy non-advice but I've spent a long, long, long time thinking about how to replace carts and needles without blowing a week's pay and haven't come up with anything better.

The Stanton 500 v3 is adequate but I would get the Shure M44-7. Anything above that is a waste of money.

I'll stick with my MP3s.

Shure 35C I've been using them for years.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    Shure 35C I've been using them for years.
    These and some knockoff technics headshells are more solid than people give credit for. Same for the M35X and the ones with the red needles that have the same shape. Don't remember the model number on those or even if they're still sold.

I think M44G's are a lot more abusive on the record grooves than people realize. You'll shred your records with them unless you're really careful with your tracking force and don't back cue more than you need to. You can find needles for them anywhere though and they're really tough and last forever. If your records are disposable timecodes and you just want some really sticky carts they're great. They definitely look the most handsome IMO.

Tech Wizard

I've always had good luck with Orotofon cartridges with the built in stylus. Might be a little out of your price range but they are durable and have great sound quality.

Quote Originally Posted by PartyMcFly View Post
    These and some knockoff technics headshells are more solid than people give credit for. Same for the M35X and the ones with the red needles that have the same shape. Don't remember the model number on those or even if they're still sold.

I think M44G's are a lot more abusive on the record grooves than people realize. You'll shred your records with them unless you're really careful with your tracking force and don't back cue more than you need to. You can find needles for them anywhere though and they're really tough and last forever. If your records are disposable timecodes and you just want some really sticky carts they're great. They definitely look the most handsome IMO.
    If I recall correctly the red ones (Shure 25c) have more record burn than the blue ones (35C).

edit:

I am looking for headhsells myself this morning. Parts Express really does have everything.
    https://www.parts-express.com/a-t-st...tacts--230-012
    Last edited by keithace; 05-28-2016 at 09:02 AM.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast