365 to VJ with After Effects and Resolume
    Tech Guru

Default 365 to VJ with After Effects and Resolume

Hey everybody it's been a long time since I've posted on here. I've been using Resolume alongside Traktor for almost 2 years now and one of the biggest challenges with using Resolume is keeping content fresh.

For the first while I was using a lot of Beeples royalty free footage and eventually bought footage from Resolume's online store. While the footage is great, the cost is pretty high (damn euro's). I wanted to make my own footage but really had no idea where to start. I'd tried learning to use After Effects off and on before eventually quitting. It's a pretty complex program and lots of tutorials aren't really geared toward VJs.

I've finally started making progress and the biggest thing that has helped is working on a new project everyday, no matter if the work is good or bad I share it.

If you've struggled to learn how to use After Effects or have questions about using Resolume with Traktor feel free ask any questions. Happy to help.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BE6g96Xj...=ryandejaegher
    Last edited by rdej47; 05-23-2016 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Embed didn't work

Hey ryan,

I'd like to know a bit more running traktor and resolume together.. doe you have any kind of sync between them? Are you sending traktor's BPM to resolume to sync up the audio and video?

Do you operate both whilst mixing? or do you have someone else taking care of visuals or audio for you?

Also have you looked at quartz composer? I've read some stuff about it but never tried it out for myself, I'm not sure how it compares to after effects but I do know that the visuals are rendered live which allows you to change parameters on the fly in resolume.
    MBP 13 2012 | 2x NI Kontrol X1 Mk2 | NI Kontrol F1 | NI Audio 2 | Behringer CMD MM-1 | Sennheiser HD25 Mk2

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by r08zy View Post
    Hey ryan,

I'd like to know a bit more running traktor and resolume together.. doe you have any kind of sync between them? Are you sending traktor's BPM to resolume to sync up the audio and video?

Do you operate both whilst mixing? or do you have someone else taking care of visuals or audio for you?

Also have you looked at quartz composer? I've read some stuff about it but never tried it out for myself, I'm not sure how it compares to after effects but I do know that the visuals are rendered live which allows you to change parameters on the fly in resolume.
    Hey thanks for reaching out. Yes I'm running Traktor's virtual midi output to send BPM to Resolume, surprisingly this has been pretty tight (I've tried midi syncing between Traktor/Maschine, Traktor/Ableton and it's always been bad). Resolume also has a really sweet feature that basically lets you "re-sync" if the timing falls off, even while you're running midi clock from Traktor (Neither Ableton or Maschine allow you to do this if they're the slave).

Most of the time I'm DJing with a partner, so we'll both mix in/out but now it's probably him doing 75% music and me doing 25% music, i'm mainly handling the visuals. I've got an F1 that's setup with a bunch of fx chains that can be triggered for Resolume, so even if we haven't had a chance to add/purchase new visuals using Resolumes FX gives us the ability to add some variation.

I am also able to run visuals myself with Traktor, in this case I rely a lot more on Resolumes auto pilot function to cycle through clips. I'm still running midi clock so the visuals are still reacting to the BPM. I also run a Traktor Kontrol S8 which is great because I can basically keep Resolume in focus on my computer but still be able to browse/ and load songs form the S8.

I have looked at Quartz Composer, there's actually a guy that runs a site called ILoveQC (check him out). He sells Quartz patches that can be loaded into Resolume and Serato Video. I had considered learning more about Quartz Composer but it has a pretty steep learning curve and unfortunately Apple doesn't seem that focused on it so it didn't make sense to invest learning in a program that doesn't have a long future.

Resolume actually has the ability to load "FFGL sources" this is basically content that's generated on the fly, using a lot of built in FX you can definitely create some material that's entirely generated in Resolume, it can be pretty time consuming to do though.

Tech Guru

Since learning After Effects I've created 41 visuals and I've now decided to start sharing these everyday as a free download. To start the visuals will be encoded for Resolume and at 720p but the goal is to have multiple formats (Serato Video, VDMX, Mixvibes) and higher resolution (1080p)

Here are the details:
    - Seamless 8 second loop (4 bars)
    - 120 BPM (Can be synced to any tempo in Resolume)
    - Optimized for Resolume (no need to encode the video yourself)

You can find them here: https://gumroad.com/l/jAUJz

I hope you guys enjoy and I'd love to hear your feedback for what kind of visuals or what genre you'd like to see.