DJ's switching back to hardware article, and a FB post from a house music legend. - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I tend to use Rekordbox out a lot when I play, though once the stability issues with Traktor are sorted out, I wouldn't mind bringing my X1 Mk2 and Audio 2 DJ with my laptop, plugging it into the club/pub mixer and doing some interesting things with it. Also once I get a coffin case sorted out for my Z2 mixer and two D2s along with my other 2 F1s, I intend to use them more at different parties for pushing the envelope in terms of what can be achieved, particularly with Stems which Pioneer seem to be outright holding back on to spite NI.

It's true though that setting up in a club is mostly a pain with sound cards and controllers, laptops getting spread everywhere and cables unplugged and all that grief...

TBH Pioneer have done well with the CDJ200 nexus model and fair play to them. No one wants to bring heavy records anymore or burn CDs and at the end of the day people don't really want to bring a computer. The USB CDJ as industry standard in most booths is the perfect solution tbh.

Most people on the dance floor don't want to hear 4 deck mash ups (which almost never sound better than a well produced song), they want to hear wicked tunes mixed will which 2 CDJs and a good mixer provide.

I think you should be able to rock up to a club, no laptop and use the gear that is there to DJ and I've been on traktor for years and still use it for small gigs where i have to plug into a PA etc.

It's now viable to leave the laptop behind so probably thats where it should be.

EZ knows what is up https://www.facebook.com/furtherance...2620597122213/
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

More insight specifically on the club/FB post.

http://www.magneticmag.com/2016/06/n...-the-dj-booth/

Tech Mentor

nothing gets people more excited than getting the pitch forks out.
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

No disrespect to Kenny Summit.

I have been listening to, and buying, house music and going to parties on the west coast for the better part of 20 years. I have no idea who Kenny Summit is.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

I've said it before, and I'll say it again .....its not the tools, it's the carpenter.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

His intentions might have been different but the message he posted is just bullshit.
    Copying my comment from disqus:
    You can be as much of a legend as you want. But if you pretend that DJing with the latest Pioneer XDJ / CDJs is anymore hard (and needs more "talent") than DJing with Serato / Traktor / etc. you're just a narrow-minded douche.

I understand it if they suggest DJ not to play with laptops due to organizational reasons (short sets, no space) but this is just pretentious bullshit!

---

I see it the other way round. If you constantly having DJs with controllers show up in your club that play shit music, mess up your equipment, are generally a pain in the ass to handle. Then it's probably you, your booker, your artist care or your sound guy that sucks.

I liked the comparison @r08zy brought up:
    "... if that club's head liner sends over his rider which includes clearing space for his S8 or SZ do you think they will cancel the booking with him? If a young kid turning up there to play his first ever gig outside his bedroom arrives with a controller they probably will tell him he can't play."

If Carl Cox shows up with his big S8, they would lick his boots, if some broke kid arrives with his Numark / NI / Pioneer controller they would bully him to end.

Quote Originally Posted by sheikyerbouti View Post
    His intentions might have been different but the message he posted is just bullshit.
    Copying my comment from disqus:
    You can be as much of a legend as you want. But if you pretend that DJing with the latest Pioneer XDJ / CDJs is anymore hard (and needs more "talent") than DJing with Serato / Traktor / etc. you're just a narrow-minded douche.

I understand it if they suggest DJ not to play with laptops due to organizational reasons (short sets, no space) but this is just pretentious bullshit!

---

I see it the other way round. If you constantly having DJs with controllers show up in your club that play shit music, mess up your equipment, are generally a pain in the ass to handle. Then it's probably you, your booker, your artist care or your sound guy that sucks.

I liked the comparison @r08zy brought up:
    "... if that club's head liner sends over his rider which includes clearing space for his S8 or SZ do you think they will cancel the booking with him? If a young kid turning up there to play his first ever gig outside his bedroom arrives with a controller they probably will tell him he can't play."

If Carl Cox shows up with his big S8, they would lick his boots, if some broke kid arrives with his Numark / NI / Pioneer controller they would bully him to end.

You might want to read through this whole thread. Seems like you aren't fully up to speed on the available info.

Quote Originally Posted by sheikyerbouti View Post
    If Carl Cox shows up with his big S8, they would lick his boots, if some broke kid arrives with his Numark ...
    well, i mean those are two very different things, aren't they

Tech Wizard

As someone whos been using Traktor since 2002 and currently using a Xone DX and a Xone 1D, i will give up my "tempo synch" button, when all of you elitist artists give up on using sample packs of instruments you cant play using a REAL instrument.

There you go, so if you cant play a jazz bass then dont ever use a bass in your productions, if you cant play piano, stop using those melodic arpeggios, if you cant play on real drums and recreate those beaufitull shuffly hihats that you constantly use on your Ableton productions, then stop uhsing them until you learn how to play them the proper REAL way.

You know, being a musician requires craft, i am myself a musician, since age 8 i learnt how to play bass, guitar, and the basics on keyboards and drums, and i, as a TRUE musician, feel insulted whenever i see some "musicians" just pressing a button and dropping some nice and smooth baseline on their tracks.

Its disrespectfull to the art form.

Learn how to play those instruments, otherwise you are just a child playing Guitar Hero on his Playstation.

You dont wanna learn how to make music the REAL way? then STFU about my synch, i use it because its tedious to just match the tempo on 2 songs, sometimes i even use 3 at the same time.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast