New macbook pro at WWDC? (Macbook pro discussion/suitability for music)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default New macbook pro at WWDC? (Macbook pro discussion/suitability for music)

Word on the street is there is a new Macbook Pro at WWDC on June 13th. Do you think its coming out then or will we have to wait for another keynote?

The leaked photo suggests its in production

A similar photo in 2008 was leaked 4 days before it was announced.

Does this mean a release is imminent?

4 USB-C shown in the picture means adapters. Does this affect you? I have no gear that runs off USB C, but in the future i may.
    Last edited by padi_04; 06-06-2016 at 11:39 AM. Reason: pic sizes

I personally don't have any issues with this change, it'll mean that I'll need to carry a pair of these cables:

http://www.belkin.com/au/p/P-F2CU035/

Or something a little shorter, one to go from MacBook to Mixer/Soundcard and another to go from MacBook to my USB2 hub (D-Link DUB-H7) that I already use anyhow so there is no real problem connecting to the usual equipment (X1mk2's & CDJ's for HID).

It's a better more flexible connector than USB-A (and USB-B) and although it'll take a little time for external hardware to catch up, at least it's going to be an industry shift for both Mac and PC unlike the way "Thunderbolt" via the mini-displayport connector has failed.

I for one have no issues with this ... although I won't be updating my MacBook Air any time soon unless Apple and NI fix the Traktor audio dropout issue, then I'll have reason to update
    Main Gig Comp - MacBook Air 11" 1.3GHz i5, 4GB, 512GB, OS X 10.12.6
    Gig Gear - TSP 2.6.8 & 2.11.2, Kontrol X1mk2 (x2), D2 (x2), S5, Xone:92, Xone:PX5, CDJ-2000 (x2), DDJ-XP1 ... Rekordbox DJ 5 with a few packs ...
    Plenty of studio gear and not enough time ... and a few Nexo PA systems

Tech Wizard

Thats a good point. Is their increased latency with adapters?

Im running a 2011 macbook pro, which has a broken screen and is slow as hell. Apple's macbook pros are very outdated, and people just aren't buying them anymore due to the upcoming release. Therefore i dont think apple can afford to wait.

I have the funds ready, lets just hope theirs good news on the 13th.

Question for you regarding your 2011 MacBook, what OS are you running and what version of your software are you using?

Reason for this is that it might not be the best thing to update to the latest cutting edge stuff because there are issues with current operating systems (well, all of them since Mavericks) that are affecting some of us, not all of us mind you, but more and more people are having issues.
    Main Gig Comp - MacBook Air 11" 1.3GHz i5, 4GB, 512GB, OS X 10.12.6
    Gig Gear - TSP 2.6.8 & 2.11.2, Kontrol X1mk2 (x2), D2 (x2), S5, Xone:92, Xone:PX5, CDJ-2000 (x2), DDJ-XP1 ... Rekordbox DJ 5 with a few packs ...
    Plenty of studio gear and not enough time ... and a few Nexo PA systems

Tech Mentor

everyone is going to moan about the change forced upon them yet again by apple, but look back thru history and pretty much every decision they've made to adopt or abandon connections or media devices has turned out to become industry standard.

you're right, nobody has USB-C. and everyone is going to rage and cry when they see that those will be the only ports on the laptop.

But look beyond this and why it was implemented and you can begin to see how it benefits the future. USB-C will be the new "do-all" connection. For power, display, data, audio. everything. Thunderbolt3 is now switching over to using that same connection merging thunderbolt & usb protocols into one universal cable. Even charging ports. Think about it. in 3-4 years, every device you own (except iPhone), will only need a single cable to connect anything to it. For the first while, yes that means adaptors. and that sucks, no one is denying that. But once the transitional period ends I foresee almost the entire consumer electronics industry moving to USB-C.

Tech Wizard

I have no issue with the operating system, and i'm running 10.11.4 El Capitan. I had issues when first updating, especially with NI Massive in Logic Pro X, but everything smoothed out in no time. I look forward to a skylake processor and a fresh SSD, both will help dramatically speed up processes in Logic. Getting a new laptop is also a great chance for housekeeping, especially with samples ect.

Although you say except iphone, all phones in the EU will be required to use a standard cable, such as USB-C. It will be interesting to see how apple approach this.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I personally don't have any issues with this change, it'll mean that I'll need to carry a pair of these cables:

http://www.belkin.com/au/p/P-F2CU035/

Or something a little shorter, one to go from MacBook to Mixer/Soundcard and another to go from MacBook to my USB2 hub (D-Link DUB-H7) that I already use anyhow so there is no real problem connecting to the usual equipment (X1mk2's & CDJ's for HID).
    Or just get a USB C hub and not bother with changing all your cables or bringing the D-link and additional wall warts

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quite a few sources are saying there won't be any new hardware on WWDC so you guys might have to wait a bit to upgrade. Alternatively they might just introduce it and wait till fall to make it publicly available.

Something you guys haven't mentioned yet is the empty space above the number keys, rumours say the functions & Esc keys are getting replaced by a small OLED display that would adjust the shortcuts icons dynamically. Might come in handy if you dot know the shortcuts and need the extra graphical aid but i'd rather have the feedback of a regular key and not have to look down to look for it.

Render of how it might look like:
    Last edited by padi_04; 06-06-2016 at 11:42 AM.

Tech Guru

Even if WWDC doesn't announce new hardware, there's definitely going to be a new MBP in the fall. Apple is lagging so far behind hardware wise. By the time they release Skylake in their MBP, Windows will be coming out with Kabylake laptops.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

In case you guys haven't watched it. No hardware announcements of any nature at WWDC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast