what if.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what if.....

Default what if.....

Help me out..

I have the following setup: traktor, 2 d2's and ableton running on the soundcard of my A&H DB4.
    That works great, although i can't route traktor thru ableton'(due to window based maschine) but there is really no need for it because the effects in the DB4 are great. ableton and the push i use now for adding drums, basslines etc etc

I was thinking of switching to the play differently Model 1 mixer, to achieve a similar setup i would like to route traktor thru ableton to have effects other then the traktor effects and use ableton to ad drums etc etc

what kind of usb soundcard would i need with sufficient in en outs to do this and how would you do this ?
    Allen & Heath DB4, Xone K2, 2x Native instrument D2
    Soundcloud
    Mixcloud

You can route audio from individual decks in Traktor to individual channels in Ableton Live (on Windows) using the JACK Router software:

http://www.jackaudio.org/

Loads of guys do it.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    You can route audio from individual decks in Traktor to individual channels in Ableton Live (on Windows) using the JACK Router software:

http://www.jackaudio.org/

Loads of guys do it.
    I know but for some reason lack router wont work on my maschine spend a few hours to get it working..just gave up because i use the db4 for effects
    Soundcloud
    Mixcloud

You need to persevere with JACK, mate. There are LOADS of guides, including Youtube videos, of how to do exactly this.

It's a really elegant solution.

Buying more audio interfaces, and physically routing the outs of Traktor to the Ins of Ableton is gonna be ugly as hell, and you'll run into even more problems than you already have.

EDIT: Are you running JACk as "Administrator"?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy

I have viewed almost any video there is, still no luck. tried everything also the admin thing, no luck it jack server wont start and gives no feedback to what might be the problem... but if i would go for the model 1 i will need a external interface, as i would imagine there is some internal rerouting possible with for example rme or motu .. i have really no clue because i never had one, so the question remains, what kind of audio interface would suit my needs of being able to run traktor and ableton.

This also to get a idea about the cost of going for such a setup if its within my reach or not

so bassicly i would like to buy a model 1 and a suitable external interface
    Soundcloud
    Mixcloud

TBH - it sounds like your willingness to spend money far outweighs your capacity to use the gear you'll buy.

Uninstall Jack Router, and start again. Your wallet will thank you!

Your missing the point, there is no need for using jack audio right now, i have the db4 and no need for any more external effects...

if i would go for the model 1 i would loose the effects that come with the db4 and its soundcard, the DB4 has a internal soundcard...

The model 1 has NO soundcard so i will need to buy a external one, i really like the way the model 1 is setup, i have a possiblity to test and check it out myself in about 2 weeks. So before that i would like to know witch external soundcard would suit my needs, as i have no experience in that area i thought it might be a good idea to ask
    Soundcloud
    Mixcloud

Tech Guru

Pros run more than one PC.

One PC with audio interface for Traktor, another PC with audio interface with Ableton, and linked by either digital or analog audio via a mixer.

Running it all off one pc is far too many eggs in one basket for a live show.

Help me out here. Are you DJ'ing with Ableton Live, or Traktor? Or both? And how are you doing that right now?

What channels on your mixer are used, and for what? if Ableton Lives outputs are to the USB outs on the mixer, where are your Traktor outs coming from? Are you mixing internally in Traktor, and using a single output (from what audio interface?) to a single line in on the DB4?

I know you'll run into trouble using a single audio interface in 2 applications at the same time. I'm just trying to get an idea of what you are currently doing, and what you want to be able to do.

Ok here goes.

i am djing in traktor, using the db4 as my soundcard, so mixing externally.
    I am using 4 channels on the db4, the normal channels 1 to 8 for decks a,b,c,d and share channel 1/2 for ableton or maschine or both running synced to traktor for adding drum sounds or playing on the fly, traktor nor ableton seem to have a problem using the db4 soundcard at the same time, this works just fine.Hell even when i use traktor, maschine and ableton(1 pc)on the db4 sound card it works just fine at a very low latency.

My current setup is just working great apart from not been able to use jack audio, but not a deal breaker for me.

As i am creating more of a specific style for myself i sometimes run out of channels, running 4 loops or 3 and ableton i feel the need for more channels and i really like the sound sculpting possibilities on the model 1, the db4 has a similar mode called filter mode and i use that a lot (most of the time). i will know for sure when i have a go on the model 1 in about 1,5 week .

Changing to that mixer means loosing the fx section of the db4, the looper function (using this also together with the K2) so i have to figure out a way to get effects back in, i really hate the rmx effects box way to aggressive compared to the db4 effects which i love because their just right for Techno and none destructive

As the model 1 is completely analogue, i will need an external audio interface...i was hoping to be able to route traktor thru ableton for the effects with this interface internally, as i don't know or ever had a external interface i don' t know if this is possible.

hope this sheds some light :| )
    Last edited by ragverp; 06-15-2016 at 12:23 PM.
    Soundcloud
    Mixcloud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast